Question for handy people: taking a window out (house)

Husky

You lot are handy at all sorts of things so I thought I'd ask you all a random question relating to my house renovation :p

Basically, I have a really stupid staircase that does not lend itself to getting large items, such as a bathtub, around the corner and up the stairs. The only way I can see us getting the aforementioned bath tub into the (to be) upstairs bathroom is onto the extension roof and through the bedroom window. The window however would need to come out and be put back in order for this to happen.

I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have an AntMan suit?

Alternatively, does anyone know how much it will cost me roughly to get this done (Coventry)? I'm pretty handy, could I do this myself or will it end in inevitable tears and broken double glazing?

We have upvc frames and they are just held by masonary screws going in through the frame and into the blockwork.

See if you can see any fixings. They may be covered by capping.

Hmmmm. this is a 1930's house we are talking about. Solid brick everything, not a timber frame in sight! Still think it'd be easy enough?

so they built it in 1930 with UPVC? the windows are a later addition and will be held in with not a lot. criminals usually remove all the plastic cappings to get to the side and then crow bar it out.

you have access from the inside and outside where you can just remove the screws sensible with a screw driver.

Hmmmm. this is a 1930's house we are talking about. Solid brick everything, not a timber frame in sight! Still think it'd be easy enough?

so they built it in 1930 with UPVC? the windows are a later addition and will be held in with not a lot.

Exactly.

The old boy who owned the house was a carpenter with good workmanship on everything I've found thus far, so if he had anything to do with it I'll likely find some intricate puzzle holding it in.

Ok, the beads will unclip from around the sealed unit either from the outside if they are older or the inside it they are newer, you can tell by looking. Then remove sealed units and you should then be able to get to the screws holding the frame in. Break the sealant bead on the outside with a blade and also run the blade around the inside where frame meets plasterwork. Refit in reverse order and have someone to help you.

Hmm ok, I mean, what's the worst that could happen... I'll take a look and see what it looks like, I'm going to need help hoofing the bath onto the roof anyhow so I'll have someone there to help me handle the window.

Thanks for all the advice guys :) And if anyone is in Coventry and loves taking windows out, be my guest! :lol:

Edited by Husky

you dont need to remove the frames, take the rubber off, take the beading off, remove glass. done, no need to take the frames out!

Do this all round, then the glass will fall out so have them mission impossible style suction things lol

you dont need to remove the frames, take the rubber off, take the beading off, remove glass. done, no need to take the frames out!

Do this all round, then the glass will fall out so have them mission impossible style suction things lol

Depends how big the window is and if it's got openers or not. If it's a big window and the bath will go through with just the sealed unit out then fine.