Help: locking wheel nut lost!

CrustyCrab

Hi everyone,

A plea for help...

Does anyone live near Woking and could lend me a locking wheel nut key for tomorrow and or Thursday evening?

I never move mine from its spot but it's vanished and i don't know what to do. I am traveling to Wales on Friday and need to change my front discs before I go.

I don't even know if the locking keys are common between vehicles but I have a 53 plate with Rays.

Any ideas or suggesting welcome.

Thanks,

Crab

It's highly unlikely somebody else's locking wheel nut key will fit yours, ...not impossible depending on the maker but still highly unlikely otherwise it would defeat the purpose of having them in the first place.

Some people I know would use a socket close to the size of the locking wheel nut and tap it on with a hammer ~ the idea being that it grips the locking wheel nut enough for you to be able to undo it. You will however need to replace the locking wheel nut afterwards as it will most likely get damaged.

Another option is to try a "Gator-Grip" type socket. Like this: http://www.ebay.co.u...-QAAOSwvgdW39eq

Never tried it myself but have heard that it can work depending on the style of locking wheel nut (won't work on them all). Probably better suited to the "spline" type locking wheel nuts rather than "McGard" style.

You could try a Nissan dealership but my guess is they would have to order your key specifically which would take a week or two I'd have thought plus you'd need to know the locking wheel nut key code ~ usually on the bag that the key was originally in (mine was in my boot with the jack etc).

If you're lucky though the dealership might have some sort of selection of "masterkeys" so it couldn't hurt to ring them up & ask at least if they can help.

Maybe not much help sorry Crab but that's my suggestions anyway. ;)

Few related threads: http://www.350z-uk.c...-wheel-nut-key/

http://www.350z-uk.c...-wheel-nut-key/

If it's any help I recently had the same issue, after going to my local dealership I got a replacement key for £19 by 9am the next day, however;

1. I was told that keys are getting harder to source

2. It could take up to 2 weeks to get

Be warned, I was told a new set of nuts with a key would be £26, which sounded good. I then found out they wanted to charge me an additional £60 to remove my old ones and fit the new ones!

Thanks for the replies,

I did wander how many varieties there would be.

I'll have a look and I guess as you said, replace the whole lot i could be the easiest option.

I assume the ones I currently have on it are the standard Nissan ones.

Looks like a flower pattern or a soft 6 pointed star

I assume the ones I currently have on it are the standard Nissan ones.

Looks like a flower pattern or a soft 6 pointed star

"McGard" style ones then.

Honestly I'd try the local dealership firstly to see if they can help. Try looking for the key number first though, ...might be written down with your cars history if you're lucky or as I said on a little bag in the boot with your jack etc.

Honestly I'd try the local dealership firstly to see if they can help. Try looking for the key number first though, ...might be written down with your cars history if you're lucky or as I said on a little bag in the boot with your jack etc.

Thanks GM I'll try them tomorrow.

Hmmmm little bag.....

Don't think there is one of those in my boot. The tools and jack have spaces in the foam.

I'm going to raid my garage and I'll be back.

Thanks GM I'll try them tomorrow.

Hmmmm little bag.....

Don't think there is one of those in my boot. The tools and jack have spaces in the foam.

I'm going to raid my garage and I'll be back.

Yep, like this for example...

s-l225.jpg

Can't find that info anywhere. I did find the spare standard nuts though so at least if I can get them off I'll be OK. Also it's only fronts for now so I only need to do 2.

Cheers for the advice. I'm going to see what I can find tomorrow. Not much else I can do tonight

So I tried to get them off but no luck so i'm going to get then removed this afternoon.

Now, problem and plea #2

Does any one local (ish) have one spare standard nut that I can buy or borrow for at least the weekend? I only have 3 spare.

Or any ideas?

Thanks again,

Crab

My dealer. The one in aldershot, (west way Nissan...not far from you in working.) took mine off for free. They had a full set of master keys. I brought the guy some beers as thanks. Happened to me last month, so I'm sure he still works there. Young lad, John, likes Leffe beer! Luckily o had the 4 non locking nuts left in the boot, otherwise it was stupid money for four bolts which they've course had to order. Just a thought?

Happened to me. Nissan will have to sort you like they did me. Usually they have one in that they can use should yours be missing.

They just ordered a wheel nut and let me have the old one there and then. Obviously had to pay for a wheel nut but it resolved my problem immediately.

That's pretty similar to the tool that the guy used to get mine off. Looked kind of like a bolt but made from a soft metal and it deforms into the shape of the locking nut.

Made it look very easy.

Also found a single nut at a bargain price of £1.19 from euros. It's gold and a different style but it'll do for now :)

Phew.

Thanks for every ones advice