Steering wheel mot fail

ZeppoJeff

So yesterday I had my mot and it failed 😔

Think the guy was just being an arse for the sake of it but who knows.

This is just a heads up for anyone really that has installed an aftermarket steering wheel as new guide lines have came out that if a car is installed with an airbag standard it must be in place. Doesn't matter if there no airbag light on it 😒

• Like 1

Take it somewhere else. The MOT manual clearly makes an exception for modified vehicles, and is now far more sensible about what's actually roadworthy.

Dose it? image.png

dose it with fire ? :blush:

• Like 2

I replaced my steering wheel with an after market one and that was over two years ago and I've never once had a problem with the MOT. My only advice would be, once you find an MOT Station who don't have a problem with an aftermarket steering wheel, stick with them. My local mechanic uses the same one for me all the time and as they know my car now, they don't query it at all.

Frustrating for you, :rant: do you plan to change the wheel back to obtain your certificate or pay for another test elsewhere ? However should you stand your ground and quote the above reference, would he be awkward next time around. Best of luck in resolving this. :)

Nah I'm not changing the wheel even though it's only a 5 min job. The mechanic I use is speaking to the owner/mot qc on Tuesday when he is back from his holidays as he's used him for years and sends all his drift/track/rally cars there. There shouldn't of been a problem it's just that one tester is an arse.

I mean he also failed on the fact the rear number plate bulbs weren't shinning on the plate...it was day light!!!! Also the advisory for noisy exhaust.

• Like 1