Constant airbag errors - moving between steering wheel and passenger?

colesl4w

Hi all,

I've been doing loads of googling on this, but found nothing that has been able to fix this problem. For the past few months I am getting a flashing airbag light after a few minutes of driving. Each time it is reset using the ignition pattern, but it will soon return. I've had the car hooked up to two diagnostics machines. The first machine said the driver's steering wheel airbag was faulty. The second machine (a much more expensive machine) first read the passenger front airbag was faulty, then read the driver steering wheel airbag was faulty.

I replaced the clock spring, but the light is still flashing. Neither of the clock springs I ordered fitted, despite both being for the trim and year my car has.... so the garage's electrician re-wired the newest clock spring to use my old connector, which they say has worked successfully. The last diagnostics indicated that the passenger front airbag is faulty. The garage who has been dealing with this reckons that no matter what they do, a fault will flag up somewhere on the system, and that it is the airbag control unit that is possibly at fault. Those are crazy money to replace. Has anyone had anything like this before, or can anyone offer any suggestions as to how this can be fixed? The garage offered to put a timer on the airbag light so that it would come on at ignition and then stay blank - but that's a route I really don't want to go down - I wouldn't forgive myself if skimping on an airbag fix resulted in someone getting hurt.

Any help would be much appreciated. The car failed its MOT because of this. I'm tempted just to throw it in to Nissan to get them to sort it, but from what I've read online this could cost the guts of £2k. Think I bought a bit of a lemon as I've had nothing but issues with this car =(...

The connectors under the seats are the usual culprits for the flashing airbag light coming on.

Make sure nothing is rattling around under the seats, disconnect and reconnect the plastic connectors under the seats and try the reset procedure again.

The connectors under the seats are the usual culprits for the flashing airbag light coming on.

Make sure nothing is rattling around under the seats, disconnect and reconnect the plastic connectors under the seats and try the reset procedure again.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately the fault is being logged as either from the airbag in front of the passenger (in the dash) or the driver's steering wheel airbag, rather than the seat airbags. I guess maybe the system can become confused though? There is absolutely nothing under the seats but I'll try disconnecting, cleaning, reconnecting them.

Thanks.

Jonathan,

The air bag control unit (module) is positioned under the centre console

However these only require replacement if air bags have been deployed.

However all is not lost if it does turn out to be faulty, as a module reset only costs £25.00 :thumbs:

Hope that helps.

Alex. :)

Jonathan,

The air bag control unit (module) is positioned under the centre console

However these only require replacement if air bags have been deployed.

However all is not lost if it does turn out to be faulty, as a module reset only costs £25.00 :thumbs:

Hope that helps.

Alex. :)

Thanks for the reassurance on that Alex! Much appreciated.

Iv had my airbag light come on late yesterday, I think it's directly related to me trying to push something under the drivers seat. A reset took it off but it's back this morning so iv unplugged the cables, blown on them and re plugged. Fingers crossed il let you know if it comes back on lol