Wheel spacers and handling

GT Driver

Hi folks

Apologies if this has been answered before.

I am considering wheels spacers (20mm front, 25mm rear) on my Z. I'm running Rays 18s and standard suspension. Looking for some feedback on whether there is any noticeable change to the handling? (Increased understeer / steering sensitivity etc)

Thanks in advance.

You're adding weight to the worst possible place, so there will be *some* negativity. There will be resistance to turn, slower acceleration and longer braking distances.

That said, the differences are negligible to most. Some will notice it and hate it, some accept it because the car looks better, most don't notice that much if at all. I run spacers on my car, however when I changed wheels I made sure they were lighter so that even with the spacers I've lost weight on each corner. If you're not changing wheels then expect the car to feel a bit different, but tbh a sharper geo can sort that out.

• Like 1

You're adding weight to the worst possible place, so there will be *some* negativity. There will be resistance to turn, slower acceleration and longer braking distances.

That said, the differences are negligible to most. Some will notice it and hate it, some accept it because the car looks better, most don't notice that much if at all. I run spacers on my car, however when I changed wheels I made sure they were lighter so that even with the spacers I've lost weight on each corner. If you're not changing wheels then expect the car to feel a bit different, but tbh a sharper geo can sort that out.

Appreciate the response Ekona. Thanks for that.

The extra track at the rear should in theory provide a more stable rear end when corning. I have the tarmacsportz ones 15/20 and they are so light to hold. I'd bet rays with spacers is still way lighter than touring wheels without.