Anyone been to Mexico El Dorado?

Kieran_ctr

I'm going to Mexico next month with the missus, just wondering if anyone has been to El Dorado Sensimar Seaside Suites? Would like to know anyone's experience & want they thought of it?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Kieran_ctr

I've been to Cancun (Mayan riviera to be exact). All the hotels that I've seen are pretty nice to be honest. We stayed further up the coast near Puerto Morelos, but the whole area is so nice.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g153510-d219161-Reviews-Sensimar_Seaside_Suites_Spa-Puerto_Aventuras_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Yeah, i've been! We had our Honeymoon there in 2013. I'm not sure of the Sensimar bit of it, as it was called El Dorado Seaside Suites by Karisma when we went.

Literally the best 2 weeks of both of our lives. I 100% recommend you pay extra for one of the mid-range beach front rooms. I think it was about £300 extra for the 2 weeks, but totally worth it. They're not particularly 'on the beach', but they're much bigger and more luxurious. The standard rooms are just average hotel rooms, and the most expensive 'swim up' rooms didnt seem to be worth it - they were just a ground floor standard room with an ordinary looking pool on the back.

The food was out of this world... 6x restaurants all of which were epic.

Our favourite thing was the wildlife - loads of massive iguanas everywhere, a few wierd but quite large mammals we've never seen before, great fish etc.

Every day they do a huge BBQ on the beach which is awesome too, or you can go and grab a burger or pizza whenever you want.

We went back to Mexico the following year to an 'average' place at about 1/3rd the price. It was no where near as good.

Heres the video of our honeymoon. Annoyingly when i uploaded it to youtube the quality was lost, but gives a good indication of what to expect.

Oh, and i had a Selfie Stick before they were fashionable.

Edited by marzman

Thanks mazman :)

We have booked the premier room with jacuzzi & sea view balcony which was a extra £230 plus it was the most expensive room we just wanted best everything. It also comes with the VIP private pool which is restricted to premier rooms only.

Can I ask u also how strict are they on dress code? I've heard so many different comments, can you wear nice designer shorts, tshirt (not sports) & trainers? That's what I would wear & heard u can't wear shorts at night & tshirts which I think sounds a bit OTT!!

I heard the food is out of this world too! Was told to leave tips in my room etc for a better looking after etc

It won't let me watch the video says not available?

Edited by Kieran_ctr

We have booked the premier room with jacuzzi & sea view balcony which was a extra £230 plus it was the most expensive room we just wanted best everything. It also comes with the VIP private pool which is restricted to premier rooms only.

Can I ask u also how strict are they on dress code? I've heard so many different comments, can you wear nice designer shorts, tshirt (not sports) & trainers? That's what I would wear & heard u can't wear shorts at night & tshirts which I think sounds a bit OTT!!

I heard the food is out of this world too! Was told to leave tips in my room etc for a better looking after etc

Ah sorry, the video was set to private and i hadnt realised. I've made it public now so you should be able to see it soon.

Dress code, i just wore chinos and a polo shirt on most nights, and some smart-ish shoes (Sketchers). Its basically to stop people coming in off the beach and eating in the restaurant without going back to your room and showering first i guess. As for how strict they are, i cant say i remember anyone wearing shorts in the evenings so didnt really encounter anything.

Sounds like you've made the right choice on the room. :thumbs:

Regarding the tips, yes we left about $2 per day in the room i think.... One day we got left a full 1L bottle of Jose Cuervo Tequila in the room!

Oh and the room service... any time night or day you can order something up and they'll bring it to your room, for free. Awesome!

Edited by marzman

Ah sorry, the video was set to private and i hadnt realised. I've made it public now so you should be able to see it soon.

Dress code, i just wore chinos and a polo shirt on most nights, and some smart-ish shoes (Sketchers). Its basically to stop people coming in off the beach and eating in the restaurant without going back to your room and showering first i guess. As for how strict they are, i cant say i remember anyone wearing shorts in the evenings so didnt really encounter anything.

Sounds like you've made the right choice on the room. :thumbs:

Regarding the tips, yes we left about $2 per day in the room i think.... One day we got left a full 1L bottle of Jose Cuervo Tequila in the room!

Oh and the room service... any time night or day you can order something up and they'll bring it to your room, for free. Awesome!

I'll give the video a try later tonight

Yeah well I have a few smart polo shirts but never worn chinos/jeans in a hot country I like to feel more chilled on holiday but thanks for advice buddy :)

I've got $40 to do tips, heard they make sure your room is really tidy, stack your mini bar up loads but the tequila sounds like they loved u haha! I can't wait for the room service! Order a burger & chips at 3am haha it sounds like a holiday for celebrity's haha! So I will be abusing that service :)

Did u do any of the trips? We are looking at cave diving, boat trip & kayak tour. We was looking at coco bongo but seems expensive just to get in a club

Yes!! i stayed at El Dorado

Went with the missus and it was incredible! The hotels amazing, staff are so helpful and friendly ... make sure you go on the chichen itza tour, there was alot of free coronas and tequila, aswell as some cool old things ..

defiantly leave tips the bar staff get to know you and will have your drinks ready and waiting for you when you come down in the evenings and keep the coming to :teeth:

will 100% love it bud ... enjoy!!

Edited by Tomb

Ah the beach service too... chilling out on your lounger and they bring you cocktails so you dont even have to move. its amazing!

We didnt bother with Coco Bongo's... like you say its expensive and is a bit of a tourist trap to be honest. We did 1 trip to Xel-Ha - an adventure place to do Scuba Diving, ATV's, Jet Ski's and Para-Sailing which cost about £250 for the day. Was well worth it. The only other thing we did is go to the local town - Playa Del Carmen which has got some great shops/restaurants. We probably spent less than £500 in the two weeks we were there.

• Like 1

playa de Carmen I would also recommend 5th avenue just goes on and on and on so many shops, The trip didnt cost us anythng as we got asked to do the jewellery shop tour then taken into town after.

also swim with dolphins as its amazing but price of photos after is a joke @ £30 per photo :scare: :scare:

Edited by russyb
  • Like 1

Not been to El Dorado but been to Cancun 3 times now, all with Thomson and stayed in the Riu hotels.

As above, Chichen Itza is worth going to if you like the historical stuff and there is another Pyramid in the jungle at Coba which you could climb up when we went but don`t know if you still can.

We thought Coco Bongos was okay, more of a show than a night club, worst thing was it was absolutely packed so you couldn`t move around or get to the bar.

The pirate boat trip is good fun. Booze and BBQ night on a boat with a bit of entertainment from the crew.

I hate the idea of having to tip everyone and his brother and his dog for every little minor thing or assistance so needless to say didn`t do much of it at all but still the service was just fine. It`s certainly nothing like Egypt where they`re almost pulling the money out your pocket just for saying good morning as you pass by.

The problem really is it`s full of Americans who are really nice as individuals but tend to behave like a pack of rowdy half wits once they get together around the pool bar and they tip like they`re trying to get elected for something so the waiters do tend to expect it.

We`re going back to Mexico end of September but trying the pacific coast this time.

• Like 2