Please Help!

SiriusProjects

Have just been out to get some fuel and when I pulled out of the forecourt onto the road, I noticed that I suddenly had no power. The engine light was on as was the Traction control light. Luckily I don't live far away from the petrol station, but was driving at literally 20/30 mph all the way home as the car just wouldn't go any faster. I'm guessing that the car went into limp mode. Any ideas of what it could be?

Thanks.

I will check the codes out tomorrow and do a reset if I need to. I did wonder if it was maybe the fuel. It was fine when I pulled onto the petrol station forecourt, but it was after I had filled up that the car suddenly threw a wobbly.

** I should add that I have just gone out and restarted the car. The traction control light is now off, but the engine management light is still on.

Will it be okay to drive, even in limp mode if I have to get it to a garage?

Edited by SiriusProjects

Once you clear the codes, the limp mode may be removed, and if so then normal service will be resumed.

If the light does not come back on then you can only assume that it was a glitch.

Hopefully that is the case, and you did not get a load of dodgy fuel.

Probably a daft question, but how old is the battery?

The reason I ask is that I have experienced something similar in the past. The car would sometimes start with the air-con engaged and wouldn't switch off when prodding buttons, same issue with the EML and TCS light. The only option was to shut her down and fire up again (often struggling to turn over). Really bizarre as it was completely random. On the odd occasion I would also lose power in a similar manner to what you are describing. Tried a new camshaft position sensor and crank position sensor amongst other items with little luck. I persevered for months but did't have much faith in driving it as it was pot luck.

In the end I sidelined the car for around a month or so which resulted in the battery dying. After fitting a new battery and 3-4 four months of issue free driving, I realised that the gremlins has vanished. Two years later, along with a number of prolonged hibernations, I am pleased to say that the car hasn't missed a beat.

Hi Ceejay29,

According to the gauge, the battery charge is fine. I've only had the car 3 years and about a year after having it, the battery was changed anyway.

I've got an ODBII connector and am going to hook it up tomorrow and see what fault codes it returns.

• Like 1