Thin paint job?!

Blue Straggler

Hello all

I've seen a few references on here to the "notoriously thin" paint job that Nissan applied as factory standard, although a forum search now doesn't bring up any specific threads on the subject.

The thing is, I've had my 350Z for approximately 10 weeks (it is an 04), and it was not even being driven for 4 of those 10. Yet I have spotted two new spots where the paint has entirely flaked off, exposing bare metal! Fairly sure these weren't there when I purchased (admittedly there were always minor scuffs and rust-bubbling as expected on a 12-years-old car)

There's been no memorable incidents of stone chip etc that might have caused this. One is a little bit at the top of a wheel arch (POSSIBLY related to my motorway blowout of a few weeks ago) and one is around the fuel cap (POSSIBLY me over-zealously forcing the nozzle in when the hose was at full extension due to my poor positioning at the pump)

Do you folk regularly take your ZED to the body shop for minor touch-ups?! Just a tad worried about corrosion where bare metal is showing...

Thanks

Without seeing the damage, could be that your car has been 'blown over'? Basically a £300 job of spraying the same colour over the top with no primer, hides damage, then flakes off a couple of months later?

It does not look like the genuine factory finished article , therefore has received paint before. Take it to a reputable paint shop to have it rectified, which will require flatting right back, maybe to bare if there are rust issues and then to be treated accordingly before paint :)

Thanks all. Veilside - what is it about the posted pictures that makes you think this is not the original paint job, and are you talking about getting a full respray or just a professional touch-up on the bare bits (as opposed to me applying Chipex, which with my lack of craft skills would end up looking like a monkey has thrown Hammerite at it :-D )

• Like 1

Looks like its had a bump there on the wheel arch. The petrol cap cover might be catching.

That's the wheel arch above where I had an "exciting" blow-out at motorway speed! Although I can't see how the wheelarch got affected, but hey there was a lot going on that afternoon...

• Like 1

Id forgot diy on that mate. You've got serious tinworm and potentially a riggy paint job.

You need a decent bodyshop to look at it. Be expecting upwards of £250 for the rusted quarter and £40-70 for the petrol cap.

Expect that the petrol cap won't match the rest of the quarter panel as well. If you want it to match expect around £150-£250 to blow into the quarter.

Expect that the blow in on the rust near the bumper won't match the bumper. If you want it to match expect anything from £50 to £150 min to blow it in.

Touch up petrol cap yourself for £12 using you local trade ain't supplier (forget chipex et al.....go local).

Unless the body shop are absolutely topnotch expect the tinworm to come back at some point in around 12 months to 3 years.

Don't use chipsaway just because they'll do it for £150.....It'll be utter shash.

Angel of Doom......out

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

:wacko:

Thanks all.

I thought a 350Z was meant to be generally a bit of a "no brainer" purchase.

Seems I have bought into a minefield of issues.

Anybody want to recommend a decent body shop in Leicestershire (I am in Loughborough, willing to travel for the right supplier though) ?

In fairness bud that rust isn't 10 weeks old and the arch looks like it's had a clack so you can't really blame the car.

The larger patch of rust must of been there when you bought it?

• Like 1

Aye good point - it was more related to my PAS fluid leak and CEL coming on yesterday, plus the massive faff I had with tyres. Again none of which are 350Z-specific! I am just being a bit grumpy because it seems like just one thing after another. This 350Z replaces a 1.6 diesel Kia Cee'd which was the only trouble-free car that I ever had, I only kept it 15 months and you can probably understand that there's a small part of me that kind of wishes I'd held onto it (heresy on here I know!)

Yes the rust bubble was there when I bought it. Were your estimates factoring that in, and is that what you meant by tinworm (as opposed to the new bits where paint flaked off?)

Thanks and sorry if I sound defensive, I'm still kind of getting over spending far more on a car than I ever had done previously ;)

Not at all mate. These cars are as much a pita than any other despite what people tell you.

Nowts cheap and stuff goes wrong......Fairly regularly.

It's enough to make you tear your hair out if you hit a raft of problems on what's supposed to be a bulletproof 'nice car'.

Tinworm=rust. Estimate included it but it's a beggar to get rid of permenant.

It needs grinding out and treating but even then it might not cure it forever.

• Like 1

I would get the rear quarter panel blown in along with the fuel lid door. The best effect would be them to flick /blend the paint into the door then laquer the whole quarter along with the drivers door, eleviating any paint match issue. Had the car been a solid colour then edge to edge paint would have been possible. Your chosen repair shop should confirm this if they are worth their salt :)