DIY Bumper/Undertray Repair

evest

Having had the undertray off a few times the condition of the underside of my bumper has deteriorated, due to rusted bolts and the captive nuts pieces graunching the soft plastic. Shamefully, an increasingly elaborate system of tie wraps had found their way under there but the whole thing got so weak that the wheel arches came into contact with the tyres and had to be replaced. So time to do a proper job...

I used a plastic welder, some flexi plastic welding rods and some aluminium bodywork repair mesh. All in about £80 inc the plastic welder. Some much better video guides on how to do this are on youtube (not zed specific but doesn't matter).

Bumper off and example of the sort of damage (worst case below) - about four of the bolt positions needed repairs:

upload_-1%252819%2529.jpg

Cut mesh to shape (one piece seen here but best to go double thickness) - heat up area with welder to make it tacky and press it the mesh:

upload_-1%252818%2529.jpg

upload_-1%252817%2529.jpg

Apply flexi plastic wleding rods to build up material around mesh - bonding with existing bumper:

upload_-1%252816%2529.jpg

upload_-1%252815%2529.jpg

Leave to dry and cool and than sand smooth and drill holes - I lined up the 'kerb scraper' trim against the bumper to get the positions right:

upload_-1%252814%2529.jpg

Neaten up as desired. Re-installed along with some new wheel arch liners and now strong as new. Only drawback it that as you will have increased the thickness slightly so the captive nut clamp things need a bit of encouragement to go on - I found that a few gentle taps with a rubber mallet worked well.

:)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question mate. Are there supposed to be clips retaining the kerb scraper to the bodywork as my seems to be hanging forward if you see what I mean. Seems to be a few recesses with nothing on that look that they housed clips or something similar. Think someone had them off in the night and tried to tear my splitter/scraper thing!!!

It doesn't have it own clips mate - it just bolts onto the bumper along with the undertray - just check how yours has been fitted. If I remember rightly, the kerb scraper should sit above the undertray (ie - it lays first against the bumper and then the undertray beneath it - then bolts goses through both).

• 3 months later...