PVC Valve

Wicksaay

Hi Guys,

Anyone had any problems with their PVC valve and oil consumption on a DE (2005)?

I have recently fitted Decats, my car seems to be using oil now? i cant see it being the decats themselves?

i have the normal white smoke coming from exhaust (not in huge amounts) - oil burning would be blueish anyhow?

I'm thinking i may have a PVc valve problem? anyone come across this? its used a fair bit I've gauged about 1L over (1000 miles) decats have only covered about 300 miles!? but only seemed to be using oil since after they were fitted.... so in he-insight about 1L over 300 miles?!? which is heart attack material?

but as i say, i have no pools of oil on driveway or no horrific black smoke!? so it can be a major internal problem?

Thanks In Advance

Jack

Uh ohh... See my threads lol. Mine started like this, the decats just showed what the cats where hiding! i started with the PCV valve, did nothing, 2k miles later its being fully rebuilt..

Oh dear! mines just had a bottom end rebuild! when you say fully rebuilt... is it being rebuilt to standard? or forged for turbo or anything?

It is really confusing me, because if it was valve seals or piston rings id look like the Flying Scotsman coming down the road?

I have no idea where it is going?! glad im not the only person that has this problem though!

Maybe the cats will have to go on! because it doesn't show an oil loss with the cats on?! thoughts?

• Like 1

Standard, and mine was the valve seals, only smoked on start up a bit and when i put my toe down, more smell than smoke thought tbh. i done a 1400 mile trip and used 4l of oil lol. thats how bad i let it get!

Was it blue smoke though? mine smells but it smells of fuel... which is just rich running? well, I've done 900 miles since i had the bottom end done, so it may have used some due to that? I'm going to do another 100 miles to get it to a round 1000 miles and then dump the oil and change for fresh! (5W 30 isn't it?) fully synthetic or part?

So, this will just progressively get worse will it? how much has it set you back to have a valve seals sorted?

Standard, and mine was the valve seals, only smoked on start up a bit and when i put my toe down, more smell than smoke thought tbh. i done a 1400 mile trip and used 4l of oil lol. thats how bad i let it get!

I would have thought with that much oil use it would have been like the Red Arrows on display .... :lol:

smoke_zpswppm7iii.jpg

• Like 4

I would have thought with that much oil use it would have been like the Red Arrows on display .... :lol:

smoke_zpswppm7iii.jpg

Ask the Wales lot lol, half of them went home early with carbon poisoning from my car being near the front lol!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Check front two spark plugs against one in the back. if oil is coming from pcv valve usually the vapour is sucked in only by the two front holes in manifold as those are the closest to pcv pipe.

my car smoked badly and fouled front two plugs but the crankcase wasnt pushing out too much gas with pcv out so i sprayed brake cleaner into manifold pipe to clean out holes with engine idling. smoking stopped for a good week before the whole thing started over again.

<a href=http://s32.postimg.org/y4r9i4oqp/13262327_10209855989381522_744504011_o.jpg' alt='13262327_10209855989381522_744504011_o.jpg'> 13262378_10209855989701530_1634429939_o.jpg[/img]

the pcv valve pipe enters at the front . the holes for the back 4 runners dont get much of the oil vapour . the back is always cleaner as the holes are the same size

you can see where the pipe enters and then the drilled hole to the runner is next to it.

obviously this is just the symptom as my pcv works fine, i just wanted to show what it does if oil gets in from pcv valve side. in my case it was diluted oil generating loads of vapour because it was running rich. if its valve stem seal or any other it will show equally on all plugs or where problem is.

post-28472-0-87495200-1463648178_thumb.jpg

Edited by kopiko
  • Like 1

There is always a lot of oil vapor from the low load side of the PCV system, due to the high vacuum at idle, this is one of the reasons a lot of people fit a sealed catch can to help reduce to amount that sits in the plenum low spots and gets gradually drawn into the combustion process and back into the throttle plate gumming it up.

As I said due to the way the air is distributed by the design of the plenum, not one or two cylinder draw more oil vapor than the others, and there is certainly not enough to cause your smoking symptoms, unless there is a problem with piston/bore ring seal.

• Like 1