Exhaust Gum?

Rook

Hi all,

My exhaust could really use changing but since I can't afford the one I want and I can't weld, I'm wondering if anyone's used Holt's Gun Gum to patch holes in an exhaust?

i have a rust spot that I'm not sure whether or not is blowing and a hole in one of the bends on the Y-pipe that sounds distinctly blowy. There's some rather unflattering noise eminating from under my car and aside from the usual ceremony of picking off the loose bits of heat shield from the cats I'd really like to figure out what it is!

Then comes the matter of what to replace it with, bearing in mind I need an entire cat-back system. I want as loud as I can get away with without droning on the motorway, pretty much, just nothing anti-social!

Let's not make this a thread about that just yet though :p

You can steal a few months with that stuff - you might get lucky and go a year or so. Give it a lash.

The trouble with all patching jobs is that it's tempting to keep patching because it's only a tenner a time... You can end up with an exhaust made out of more gunk then steel, that you've dropped quite a few tenners on.

(I was pretty ashamed of mine when I finally brought it to someone for a new Y and mid...) :blush:

I've used it before and other products too for fixing exhaust problems. In my experience they are all very short term fixes so be aware of that just like Kieran above mentions.

Halfords do a few bandages/flexi wraps too which work fairly well combined with the exhaust gum on straight pipes or even back boxes if the flexi wrap is big enough.

Link: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=exhaust+repair&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

:thumbs:

As above. Very temporary. I've found that stuff hit and miss when I used it on old bangers when I was younger. The stuff can fall out or get blown out pretty easily.

I put my foot down in the Z on entering a slip road to the motorway and it blew the pipe right out of the welded mating flange where the centre pipe meets the back box. Must be quite a bit of pressure in there when you put your foot down :D

All good now with a new Cobra.

You can have my old Y-Pipe if you want, FOC. Located near Chester Zoo at my sons house, I don't think he's scrapped it yet. It should last another year at least.

Edited by Juggalo

Thanks everyone, short term is hopefully all I need!

Juggalo, that's very generous of you! Do you think you'd be up for couriering it to me? At my expense of course! There's very little chance of me getting any where near that part of the country for a long while sadly. Honestly, I don't want to put you out or anything, I really am grateful for your offer.

Thanks everyone, short term is hopefully all I need!

Juggalo, that's very generous of you! Do you think you'd be up for couriering it to me? At my expense of course! There's very little chance of me getting any where near that part of the country for a long while sadly. Honestly, I don't want to put you out or anything, I really am grateful for your offer.

Yeah no problem. Not sure how much a Y-Pipe weighs.

I'll pick it up on Saturday for you and package it.

Sen me PM's though, I tend to lose track of threads.