Clutch And Exhaust

Maddog

Hi Everyone,

As my clutch is pretty much at the top of its travel me thinks it time for replacement, Any recommendations around Farnborough, Hampshire Area,

With all the tech these days, Is it basically a drive in drive out.

As for the exhaust System, Not too loud but if anyone knows of a system that can equal the tone of my

V-Twin RSV 1000, I'm sold

Thanks

Edited by Maddog

Go the extra few miles and go to Horsham Developments. Newbury way.

Think it's about £300 labour and about a morning's work.

Thanks Greenlandy

I'll be giving them a ring in the Morning

TGM have a good reputation on here, and are obviously very close...

Do some searching on the forum to find out what kind of replacement you want though.

+ the biting point on our cars is typically high unless it's been adjusted.

What makes you sure that it's dying ?

Edited by RobPhoboS

TGM have a good reputation on here, and are obviously very close...

Do some searching on the forum to find out what kind of replacement you want though.

+ the biting point on our cars is typically high unless it's been adjusted.

What makes you sure that it's dying ?

Only think its needs replacing as the biting point is three quarters to the top and the car has done 58k miles'

just comparing to all the other manual cars I've had in my motoring life, but the clutch isn't slipping yet

Only think its needs replacing as the biting point is three quarters to the top and the car has done 58k miles'

just comparing to all the other manual cars I've had in my motoring life, but the clutch isn't slipping yet

Then I really do doubt it needs replacing at the moment, they are just like that.

You can just try the clutch slipping test to see if it is.

----

2 methods, worth doing both as both show different things.

first on is put it in third gear, and fromo a stand still gently pull away, you'll need some revs but not redlining it, if that makes sense. just a little more than normal. if the clutch is good the car should pull away, albeit with a little juddering and shaking. if the clutch is going it will really struggle or stall completely.

the other test i'm not as familiar with but others use it on here, if i remember rightly, sit the car in 4th gear and drive at around 30 or 40 mph, then on a straight bit of road with no one around, drop it straight into 6th and floor the accelerator pedal. the revs should drop and the car will slowly creep up the revs and the speed.

if the clutch is going the revs will bounce really high then drop. if that makes sense.

----

Then I really do doubt it needs replacing at the moment, they are just like that.

You can just try the clutch slipping test to see if it is.

----

2 methods, worth doing both as both show different things.

first on is put it in third gear, and fromo a stand still gently pull away, you'll need some revs but not redlining it, if that makes sense. just a little more than normal. if the clutch is good the car should pull away, albeit with a little juddering and shaking. if the clutch is going it will really struggle or stall completely.

the other test i'm not as familiar with but others use it on here, if i remember rightly, sit the car in 4th gear and drive at around 30 or 40 mph, then on a straight bit of road with no one around, drop it straight into 6th and floor the accelerator pedal. the revs should drop and the car will slowly creep up the revs and the speed.

if the clutch is going the revs will bounce really high then drop. if that makes sense.

----

You can always tell a good Forum when people give great advice !!!!

Thanks RobphoboS,

You saved me having to replace the clutch, for now anyway.

Did both the tests you recommended and the car replied without any problems, I'll just have to adjust my driving style.

I'm just back from a round trip to Germany and the car was great, 33.5mpg according to the computer and she didn't miss a beat.

Now I can divert my attention to the exhaust system.

Thanks again

• Like 2

You're welcome :thumbs:

If you do some searching, maybe clutch bite point or something, I'm sure there are some posts.

Try it like this,go to google & past this:

site:350z-uk.com clutch bite point

(you can do it with any forum, and just change the end to whatever you're looking for)

& this is one that popped up:

http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?showtopic=50287

Edited by RobPhoboS

I really think with clutches it's best to ignore mileage and age and just feel it out; mine's just passed 106,000 miles, still on the original clutch. It's all motorway mileage so the clutch has been used a disproportionately low amount, and it'll still rip the rubber of the tyres before it slips!

Same here 85k and original clutch.Biting point does feel weird but once you get used to it it's fine, also because I have a DE 04 car pulling away improved no end after the throttle was mapped as part of the Uprev at Hdev. I used to take my Honda to TGM and they were very good.

• 1 month later...