wider rear tyres

sonic

My recently purchased 370z came shod with a virtually brand new set of Jinyus :unsure: :blush: , no never heard of them either.

Anyway, as soon as I can wear them down, and I'm seeing the traction control illumination more than I see my indicator light ( well I used to drive a BM), so that shouldn't be too long, they'll be getting replaced.

Long term plan is a set of MPSS, but on perusing the forums, particularly the Americans they seem to like putting on wider rear tyres, up to 305 appears possible.

Now I'm not contemplating such a radical departure but I was considering 285, possibly 295. Fronts to stay standard. Speedo will read marginally less than actual, this site shows the tech implications........

http://www.willtheyf...lculate#content

Should add a bit of traction, will fill the arch, maybe look lowered and will look hot from the rear, never a bad thing B)

My questions are, will this affect the TCS system, has anyone done it, and go on......lets have some opinions?

Edited by sonic

Possibly. You're on just over 2% difference which *could* affect it, although I suspect it'll very much be fine with zero issues. 295/30 might actually be a better option, or even 305/30, which is the same as a Gallardo or GT3 if you want to know just how silly that is in terms of needing grip :)

My more immediate concern from a driving dynamics POV would be that you'll be introducing understeer to the car. Not an issue in itself it you prefer that (and contrary to popular belief, there's nothing wrong with preferring understeer: If it's good enough for Lewis...!), just something to be aware of. You could get round that and have a more neutral car by adding some toe out at the front, but each to their own.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, my preference was 295/35, didn't really want a lower profile as this will increase the gap to arch and also send the speedo the wrong way, if only marginally. Theres still a 2% difference using a 30 profile so why do you think it would be a better option?

Cheers

Possibly. You're on just over 2% difference which *could* affect it, although I suspect it'll very much be fine with zero issues. 295/30 might actually be a better option, or even 305/30, which is the same as a Gallardo or GT3 if you want to know just how silly that is in terms of needing grip :)

My more immediate concern from a driving dynamics POV would be that you'll be introducing understeer to the car. Not an issue in itself it you prefer that (and contrary to popular belief, there's nothing wrong with preferring understeer: If it's good enough for Lewis...!), just something to be aware of. You could get round that and have a more neutral car by adding some toe out at the front, but each to their own.

I didn't know Lewis liked understeer (although I only follow F1 extremely casually these days). I believe Alonso prefers a bit of push. Maybe 'reverse drifting' (i.e. chronically understeering everywhere) should become a thing!

Everyone (myself included) assumed that Lewis preferred his cars with a bit of oversteer, given that was how his championship winning MP4-23 was setup that way, along with watching his driving. It was only a few years later in an off-the-cuff moment in a random interview where he said he actually preferred a smidge of understeer instead, it was just that McLaren wouldn't set the car up like that for him.

Jumping on the end of this - I was looking at getting some wider tyres all round, as I don't like the stretched look of the standard sizes on the GT 19" Rays. So I'd like to get a guru's opinion on going for 265 or 275 on the front, with 305 or 315 on the rear.

I'd like to know if increasing both front and rear widths will compensate for the induced under-steer discussed above - and (more importantly :p !) will these sizes give me vertical side walls.

Anyone that has gone wider like this, if you have pics so I can get an idea of how different widths angles the sidewall, that'd be great!

Edited by Dracostan