Varis Carbon Lip - fitted and after thoughts

Chris`I

Chris,

We need some nice clear pics on a lovely sunny winters day! (well good luck on that then!)

but get some up when you can..... looks good mate! :thumbs:

Yup just waiting for those days and I'll get some pics up. The car is currently with Nissan and has been all of yesterday and today as the Body Control Module and dome lights decided they didnt want to work any more, but I'm glad to say the extended warrenty has kicked in and is covering it :thumbs:

Watch this space for progress.

Awesome buddy, are there any other plans?

Wheels are in the pipeline as you have seen from the other thread, just waiting for Phil to knock me together an estimate. My only worry is that he beleives the car will need lowering slightly, and if taken at the wrong angle my lip already rubs on the speedbump just down from my house :surrender: After that, skirts and then engine bay dress up :teeth:

How much does that lip lower the front by Chris on its own?

Thats the prob I have, would love to put a kit on it (and have one already picked) but can't get the details about how much lower it is and my little housing estate has speed bumps on...

Can just imagine the first day back from the bodyshop as you come to a grinding halt on the 1st bump! :scare:

How much does that lip lower the front by Chris on its own?

Thats the prob I have, would love to put a kit on it (and have one already picked) but can't get the details about how much lower it is and my little housing estate has speed bumps on...

Can just imagine the first day back from the bodyshop as you come to a grinding halt on the 1st bump! :scare:

It actually doesnt lower the front very far at all, from what I can see. The lowest part is where it hooks onto the lower wheen arch just in front of the wheels (where the liner meets the bumper), and even then it is only by the thickness of the actual CF, so a few mm at most. It also doesnt stick very far forward of the centre of the bumper, only about an inch, but where the bumper normally curves back towards the wheels, the lip protrudes forwards more which I think causes the problem.

As it sticks out quite far forward at the sides of the bumper, it does mean that you have to be careful with slopes. I used to take them at an angle but that doesnt work any more. Other than this one awkward speed bump into my close, the other 3 are fine and can be taken at normal speeds, its just this last one that I have to do in first gear. Phil has said he doesnt have any problems with his and clearnace, I just think I have a dodgy speed bump by me!

• 2 months later...
Very nice :)

Mine should be here tomorrow. Does it just use the existing bolts underneath the car, or do you need to drill a few new ones? Will sticky pads suffice to hold it in place elsewhere?

Cheers

Chris

Well it uses the same mounting bolts that are there for the undertray at the corners of the bumper, but I found that it blocks access to some of the other bolts to get the undertray off. So I drilled and dremelled some more holes to give access to them so you didnt have to remove it to service the car. Elsewhere there is sticky tape for the centre section and 2 self tappers each side to latch it to the bumber. Its very solid once on, and a cracking piece of kit :thumbs:

Are you on the OC with the Nismo kit with the smoothed rear spats? They look very B)

Its not actually much lower at all, only the thickness of the CF below the bumper so maybe 3-5mm. The problem is how much it extends out the front. Mostly not a problem, but I do find speedbumps or lowered kurbs which have a dropped road in front are a pain. I.e. if the road sinks and falls away just before it goes back up, it does tend to be a very tense moment! Theres one speedbump by my house that is a tentative 1st gear manouver, but most others are fine. I never went near multistories before and still dont with it!

Help, I'm stuck! :doh::bang:

I'm sure I'm doing something really stupid as I can't get it to fit. More specifically, I can't get the front mounting holes to line-up with the holes on the undertray; the tray holes are about 1in too far back. Did you have to redrill the holes to make it work?

I take it the undertray goes over the lip, whilst the outer wheel linings stay tucked under?

varislipinstructions.jpg

I've only found 4 holes on the front that 'nearly' lineup, plus the 4 at the ends by the wheel arch linings. Not sure why the diagram says to remove the 4 screws at the back of the tray???

Any pointers greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

Chris

Just fitted mine to night mate. You only use the 4 end bolts. 2 at each end then the 2 self tapping screws and 3m tape!

The other hole are for mounting the extra varis under tray!

Im gonna have to raise my car up as its only 5mm from the floor when coming off my drive!!!!!

What a numpty! :)

Yeah, I can see it now looking at the diagram again. Didn't realise Varis did their own under tray, I thought it didn't quite look like the stock one!

Don't forget to take some snaps to show it off :D

Thanks again

Chris

Glad you got it sorted now. I did the same and took off all the bolts first time just to realise it was the end 2 of each side that were needed!

The only modding I have done to it recently was to drill out access to all the Nissan undertray bolts so that you dont have to remove the lip to take the undertray off and service it. If you want to do the same, I suggest you get a really good drill, dremel, facemask and goggles as CF is nasty stuff when cutting it :thumbs: