T-TOP

vatra

Right so I saw the odd couple of 350Zs via google and so on with this. The roof basically cut above the seats. Now this looks cool but in the Uk this is a bad move, Specially if you use the car often or for day to day going about places. However it's something that made me think on this.

See on the Toyota MR2 The roof had two panels that could come off and that made the MR2 so beautiful and to me it stands up well even to this day. With that idea in mind my crazy ideas come by and thought, what if we did this to a 350Z? Wouldn't that be awesome? Having the roof being able to be taken off and clipped back on in the same sense? This could in theory be clipped and secured from the inside and then simply undo said clips when you want the roof panels removed.

Example:

toyota-mr2-mk1.jpg

Now the issue obviously with this would be leaks, they can happen and are known in the MR2, Specially with the colourful weather we have over here. But we have the technology! Now I'm no fully qualified mechanic but I know this could be done though time consuming and a lot of know how is involved. But what do you guys think? I'd love to do this to my 350Z one of the days if we could come up with a plan or a way to do it without it leaking or weakening the structure of the vehicle. With the curve along the roof of the 350Z this may/maynot prove a challenge but doable though surprised no one has thought to have removable and attachable roof panels on the car. :)

just a mad idea of mine. :)

Edited by vatra

Someone did this already. It was utterly horrendous.

Oh really? I saw one which looked ugly as it was a curved cut out on the roof on each side. That was terrible. one idea as well is the entire roof to clip off and on but stop just short of the headrests.

• Like 1

Google image search 350z targa and you'll get a few, IMO, good looking ones. God only know what it does to the handling or should you manage to get it upside down :scare:

to be fair a few have installed some sort of roll cage behind the seats but I surely hope the windscreen is uber re-enforced!

I actually own a MR2, mk2 tho so not the one pictured above, the T-Bar was great last summer but it has slight leaks when hitting it from angles with a jet wash which is never great in old classics....

Edited by MrG13

• 2 weeks later...

I actually own a MR2, mk2 tho so not the one pictured above, the T-Bar was great last summer but it has slight leaks when hitting it from angles with a jet wash which is never great in old classics....

Try Holts (or is it Holtz?) Rubber Lubricant on the seals. :thumbs: