Test pipes (maybe known as decats??)

Mj86

Looking at all test pipes, especially from torqen and tarmacsportz and other. The shape of the test pipes are similar, but only difference are name, price and materials...

Is it worth to choose name that is expensive than other is cheap?

Or is there difference between each test pipes (brand name)?

I wants to know what test pipes do you have and why did you choose it?

I know they are not legal but as long as you get y-pipe that have hfc or add hfc weld to other part of exhaust or decide that your Z is only for track, then it should be okay...?

Regards

Test pipes are literally just a plain bit of piping which essentially take the cats out of the equation. I have decats on my z. Cost me about 80 quid off eBay. They have a flexi in them and do the job perfectly. I personally wouldn't waste your money on branded ones.

Trouble is finding the flanges, eh? :lol:

• Like 1

You do tend to get what you pay for imo.

Generally the welds & materials on cheaper pipes won't be as good as the more expensive ones. In extreme cases it could lead to the De-Cat pipes coming away from the flanges or blowing from other places although they would have to be extremely bad for either of those things to happen.

There will be differences between brands yes ~ Different stainless steel grades will be used, some may have larger diameter pipes (even though the mating flanges may be the same size), slightly different bends (whether intentional after R&D or just accidental I don't know), some have brackets to help support the exhaust system/others don't, some will have the longer 02 sensor mounts in an attempt (not always successful) to stop the EML coming on when De-Cats are fitted.

I chose Berks De-Cats when I fitted them to my Zed as at £150 odd they were hardly stupidly expensive. The quality of Berks products imo is very good, ...the welds were clean with no breaks in between and everything lined up perfectly when fitted to the car. Mine was mated to the standard Nissan OEM manifolds and my Invidia Gemini exhaust system. Sounded incredible too. B)

They are not legal (for off road use) but literally thousands of cars do have them fitted. You can either choose to refit standard Cats each year for your MOT or go down the route you mentioned but then what's the point of getting De-Cat pipes at all if you plan on welding Cats/HFC's further down your system?!! :wacko:

Might as well just get HFC's instead of the De-Cats and save yourself the hassle (oh and I did have HFC's before which again were made by Berks which were fantastic).

If you have a friendly MOT person though then your car with De-Cats will pass the MOT but then that's a whole other kettle of fish. :dry::blush:

Oh and do not get anything exhaust related (De-Cats/HFC's/Y-Pipe/system etc) that has those wire flexis in if you can help it at all as they are the weak point of any exhaust part/system imo.

Hope that has answered all your questions Mj86 (my old motor in below video). :thumbs:

I know they are not legal

Not true. There is no specific legislation that prevents their use on the road.

You're not allowed to modify your exhaust with the specific intention of making it louder under the Construction & Use Regs, however there's nothing that says you must not remove your cats. It is highly unlikely (read: impossible) that you'll pass an MOT with decats on, and it's illegal not to have an MOT, however that does not mean that you can't alter your car as soon as you have the certificate in hand.

I know exactly what you're trying to get at with your post and generally you're spot-on, I just feel it's important not to propagate the incorrect statement that decats are illegal. :thumbs:

If it were me, given the hit and miss nature of hi-flo cats I'd either decat and replace with the cats once a year, or stick with the stock cats.

• Like 1

Exactly what I have been contemplating recently. Just to add to the mix, people say 'just swap them to cats for the MOT and then put the decats back on after..

How much of a job is this? I take it you need to have the car up on a ramp?

Just on a set of ramps would do, or jacks. As long as you keep the bolts connecting them well lubricates, it won't be that hard.

Tbh, any garage won't charge much more than an hour to swap them over for you. Hell, the MOT place will more than likely do that, mine do.

Exactly what I have been contemplating recently. Just to add to the mix, people say 'just swap them to cats for the MOT and then put the decats back on after..

How much of a job is this? I take it you need to have the car up on a ramp?

You're talking undoing 10 bolts/nuts I think it is, ...doing it on your drive way under axle stands, well that could be a bit of a PITA to do especially trying to get to 2 of the bolts near the manifold side whilst lying on your back but in a decent garage with a ramp not so hard at all.