Flywheels: The age old debate

Puffmac

Lads (and Ladies),

It's time for the flywheel debate once again. I'm due to replace the clutch at some point this year so I am going to start buying the bits soon just so I have them ready for when I need them. The question is: which flywheel?

I know it's been debated to no end on here. However, I want to hear from people who have actually got a solid flywheel fitted. I've spent countless hours looking up videos of solid flywheels on cars that originally had a DMF, as well as reading the numerous threads on here. There are good arguments for and against both. I'm very keen on the benefits of a solid flywheel over the more complex DMF but I'm not going to lie: it's the potential noise from the gear backlash that scares me. I realise that it's a nuisance more than anything but I'm worried I'll get fed up with it as I've never been in a car that's been converted. From the few videos I could find with one on a 350Z the noise does seem quite loud. Is it really? Does it differ from car to car?

The trade-off seems to be a heavier solid flywheel equivalent to the original flywheel rather than the lightened one - which Torqen does offer. It weighs in at 26lbs vs the factory 23lb flywheel. However, I still can't help but feel that without the springs on the flywheel to help absorb the pulses from the engine, the clutch springs still won't dampen the backlash entirely. Or will they? Does anybody have this (or a similar) flywheel fitted?

Is there anyone near Glasgow that has a solid flywheel fitted that I could meet so I could hear it?

Am I over thinking this? Someone get me a beer... :D

Cheers!

:stir:

Edited by Puffmac

Is there anyone near Glasgow that has a solid flywheel fitted that I could meet so I could hear it?

This is the way to go as you have to many questions.

There are a few in your area, however if you are ever up in Perth, then swing by and I will take you out in the 666bhp 350. which has a twin plate ATS Carbonetic fitted.

There are a few in your area, however if you are ever up in Perth, then swing by and I will take you out in the 666bhp 350. which has a twin plate ATS Carbonetic fitted.

I may have to find an excuse to come to Perth soon... :blush:

Ive got the xtreme clutch kit from clark motorsport, lightened solid flywheel with a organic friction plate and an xtreme clutch cover.

It feels alot better than the OEM kit, more responsive in some ways.

As for the noise, it is noticeable but only at low speeds, if you have any sort of sporty exhaust or intake, they drown it out.

Im quite fussy about noises on my car but i have to say it really doesn't bother me at all.

The pros outweigh the cons for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1