Brake pulsing - do I have warped discs?

Chris`I

Chaps,

I've recently notice that during moderate braking on M-way or dual carridgeway an ABS like pulse is sent through my brake pedal and possibly the steering wheel. At first I thought "uh oh, its a warped disc", but as a read more on the net it could be as simple as my lug nuts not being torqued properly. Nissan fitted said pads and discs supplied from Phil, but they were fine until recently, say the last few days. Since having my pads fitted I have had new tyres on the rear, and the fronts are on the way out (a mm or two left before the wear marker, was going to change them at the end of the month)

Can anyone offer some advice/help in diagnosing whats wrong? Could it be the ABS kicking in due to uneven tyres (nearly new on rear, old on front)? Does the ABS light come on when that kicks in? I doesnt feel a violent pulsing like ABS to me.

:surrender:

Guest prescience

there's a surprisingly large difference in rolling radius for a worn vs new tyre - worked it out once on here (and sure there were assumptions). Not convinced that's your issue, but you need to change the tyres anyway, so I'd get that done and see if the problem persists ....

sounds like discs to me, only happen when you brake ?

if the nuts arent torqued correctly and more importantly progressively it will cause the disc to warp, if you take it somewhere (who know what their doing) they can check the run - out on the discs

first port of call is new tyres as you need them anyway and you can take them out of the equation but it wouldnt explain it if it only does it when braking tbh

I would give Phil a quick call and see if he recognises the symptom. :thumbs:

Gonna give him a ring later, cant get any privicy at work to make calls like that, and he'd prob want me to test stuff out on the car.

Hope its not the discs, I havent had them on long and they werent exactly cheap! Had them fitted at my last service which was mid-Oct I beleive. Been fine from the start, except for some squealing, which seems to have faded away, maybe that has something in common with this, hmmm. Tyres were replaced maybe 2 weeks after that. Need to check the dates when I get home.

Booooo :headhurt:

Ok, just off the phone with Phil, all expained and panick over! Seems I need to go out and re-bed in the pads as my girly commuting driving isnt always pushing the pad enough and I've got a bit of deposit on the disks which needs rubbing off. Matches up to that StopTech article and the bit about having the pad inprint on the disc.

Will report back when I get some quiet road to do the bed in procedure again :thumbs:

Ok, just off the phone with Phil, all expained and panick over! Seems I need to go out and re-bed in the pads as my girly commuting driving isnt always pushing the pad enough and I've got a bit of deposit on the disks which needs rubbing off. Matches up to that StopTech article and the bit about having the pad inprint on the disc.

Will report back when I get some quiet road to do the bed in procedure again :thumbs:

:thumbs: Have faith. ;)

I had warped discs on an old 200sx and it was very obvious when you looked at the disc itself, it was shiny all round apart from one dul patch (running from the middle to the edge) where the pad wasn't making propoer contact.

I know you've pretty much resolved the issue now but its one simple of checking for warping if you're worried in the future.

I was actually going to say that B) I know that with new pads if you dont bed them in they become harden and start to crystalise, so you have to re-bed them again...

yay Im not totally clueless :lol::yahoo:

So what was the problem Chris? :)

I need to do the bedding in procedure again. Where I live I come straight off a dual carridgeway and 100yrds to my drive. Where I havent been letting the brakes cool enough, I've then put the handbrake on and where the resin in the pads is still hot, its bound to my disc leaving a little resin behind, which is what I can feel at high speeds.

Doing the bedding in procedure again will get the resin off and then I need to let the brakes cool properly (i.e. no hooning off the dual caridgeway onto my drive!) before putting the handbrake on :thumbs: