Advice on potential purchase of my first 350 please

ross12walker

Hi Guys, I have just signed up and am in the market for my first zed! I was just hoping I could get some opinions on a car I viewed and am considering.

I noticed it grinds going into 1st gear from neutral but I only really noticed it after starting it up and the first few times I selected the gear. I took it for quite a lengthy test drive and I did not notice it again while driving and selecting all other gears seemed fine.

I have read that they have not got the best gear boxes? So I just wanted some opinions on if this could be a normal thing when the engine is cold or is it a sign of the clutch or something else wearing?

Many thanks for any reply is advance :)

Sounds like a dodgy syncromesh which will lessen when the gearbox warms up, without actually driving the car I can't say for sure but it's a potentially big cost if it does require a gearbox overhaul.

Edited by Apex
  • Like 1

Thanks for the video Ryan very helpful.

Yeah that sounds like a plausible answer...I could well be wrong but I think I have read that these boxes don't have synchros on 1st or reverse? Please correct me if I am wrong though.

It did seem to go in ok once warmed up, but you think it would unlikely be the clutch as all other gears selected fine?

Thanks

My advice would be to try and drive another z. There are plenty enough good examples around if you are patient. Not sure how many you have driven but it would certainly be worth your time driving more than one if you can.

Hi ross, I just returned a Z in December (around the Bedfordshire area 2003 model GT ry) with the first gear grinding , PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE walk away and I lost some money on this transaction. there are enough good Zs available . I increased my budget and got a decent one

Thank you all for the replys.

Kbad the one I saw was in Bedfordshire area. Did you purchase it from Pro Car Sales in Wilstead by any chance?? If so I'm very glad you commented.

But yes this is the first one I have driven so as you guys rightly say it would be wise to drive at least one other, maybe more, to get a feel for the cars.

Think I will try and find one without any grinding or odd noises from the gearbox.

Thanks

Yes I did here is some picture of under the car 4049b77a16ace702a8c543998518e034.jpgeb55d587c2a8f81052dbc6a1205c9e26.jpg826ef68697f144ce8cce4547bdfbadb7.jpg

Issues my mechanic identified before I returned the car

Rear coil springs heavily corroded

Underbody rotten

Rear cross member

Rear chassis

Near side front inner wing chassis heavily corroded

Steering rack leaking both side

All steering rack pipes heavily corroded

Water pump has play in it

Front subframe mounting badly corroded

Water pipe leak

In my humble opinion walk away . I had the car for 3 weeks

Hope this helps 😀😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea about the MOT - all the best in your search - mistake I made was not to have a base comparison - book a test with a very clean example and then perhaps that will create a benchmark to start from . Hope this makes sense 😀

I increased my budget significantly as advised on the forums and got me a 2007 GT HR , but before I bought my new Z. I git an RAC check £260 which is no guarantee but gives you a better idea about the structural and mechanical status of the vehicle .

This at least provides you with an informed decision 😀 hope this makes sense

Yes I did here is some picture of under the car 4049b77a16ace702a8c543998518e034.jpgeb55d587c2a8f81052dbc6a1205c9e26.jpg826ef68697f144ce8cce4547bdfbadb7.jpg

Underbody rotten

Rear cross member

Rear chassis

Water pipe leak

Hope this helps 😀😀

How the hell did you not see any of that!

• Like 1

Underbody rotten

Rear cross member

Rear chassis

Water pipe leak

Hope this helps 😀😀

How the hell did you not see any of that!

I saw this totally by accident because the car was very cosmetically clean inside and outside , the battery went flat on my way to gym in the morning , got the RAC out who said the battery needed changing as well as the two belts.

I took it down to my garage who then discovered the issues and asked me to come down as see what they were seeing as the car was on a ramp while they wanted to change the belts 😀

That in a nutshell is how I found out - there is a God looking out for me ðŸ™ðŸ˜€ðŸ’¥ðŸŒŸðŸ˜‡

Even better, search this forum for one as the cars sold are known on here and are owned by honest decent car enthusiasts of this marque. I'm with Jetpilot and cannot believe that anyone would not look under a car before purchasing. Drive a few and suck this forum dry for advice, there's more than enough on here.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1