ECU spec and limitations.

Tricky-Ricky

While I agree that adding a free flow filter, and even a plenum spacer will not increase airflow to any great degree, however add a decent free flowing exhaust and decats will allow the engine to pump more air, after all that all it is a pump.

Now the whole point of this thread is to try and debunk the myth that the std ECU will dial out any bolt on power/airflow improvements and NOT make any more bhp, yet you guys have just said you think the std ECU is able to adjust the fuelling to compensate, which I agree with, but you really cannot expect the engine to not make more power as a result...no matter how small, it would be very interesting to see the result of fitting some lumpier cams and see how far the ECU s compensation maps can be pushed.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that on the DE ECU closed loop is pretty much full term, N/A is not like turbo there is no need to adjust fuelling in line with boost pressure,

Airflow voltage is used to scale the maps so there is always a target figure, so as far as I know lambda feedback is used pretty much full time, in any case once a fixed map is used its usually deliberately rich as a safety measure, and this would be also make sense if there is no knock control on the DE ECU at high load/RPM.

Since only the J spec is supposed to have narrow band, and the UK wide-band this would be able to cope no problem, its how most modern ECU are configured especially the lean burn type.

I've logged the output of the lambda on my 370 when on the dyno and although its a wideband its VERY slow to respond to afr changes

Interesting, and a little worrying for what should be a slightly more advanced ECU in the 370Z, I know my Innovate setup was very fast to respond.

Yep I was able to see the live data from Jez's innovate wideband (Bosch sensor) and compare it to the data coming off my oem wideband and it was consistently lagging behind, this was without cats btw . I've innovate stuff myself and always found it good , had wideband sensors and displays in both my r33 and Evo 6 and i used to map the latter myself.

So the std wide-band sensors are slow then, as I said that a bit worrying for the newer tech, yeah I like Innovate stuff, AEM just doesn't seem to have the display resolution.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Hi , As someone said I had done a long reply sometime ago , will dig it out;

The lambda response rate on the 370Z Front wide bands isnt a worry tbh as the car doesn't run full time closed loop Lambda control as stock from the factor unless when we tune with ECUTEK we can set up a RaceRom map to allow Full closed Loop fuelling with lean AFR trips if needed on FI cars no need to worry on NA cars thou.

When I get time I will answers all the questions on here with snap shots from the UPREV/ECUTEK software.

Edited by Mark@Abbey m/s
  • Like 1

Thanks Mark, be very interested to get you views on the std ECU, but if I remember rightly the target maps are in AFR but the fuel compensation maps are in % which makes it difficult to directly relate.

I just found this AFR data point map that I took from my DE engine with the Innovate software, and it stay pretty lean until high RPM/load, trouble is I cant remember if this was before or after adding mods, but I do think it was after adding a true dual exhaust system.

AFR_zpsamuoddyp.jpg

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Thanks Mark, be very interested to get you views on the std ECU, but if I remember rightly the target maps are in AFR but the fuel compensation maps are in % which makes it difficult to directly relate.

I just found this AFR data point map that I took from my DE engine with the Innovate software, and it stay pretty lean until high RPM/load, trouble is I cant remember if this was before or after adding mods, but I do think it was after adding a true dual exhaust system.

AFR_zpsamuoddyp.jpg

Looks very muck like a stock ECU cal file AFR log on my dyno

JQZAN6.jpg