Sky+ box - sound but no picture - help?

H5

My brand new Sky+ box has stopped showing any picture. The sound still works, and it changes channel etc. all connections seem OK and it worked when the engineer left. Anyone got any ideas? I can't take time off this week to get it fixed but I want my telly!! :dry:

we had problems with our first sky plus box and had to have it swapped. Looks like you might have to do that! I would usually say unplug it all and leave it for 10 mins to reset but if you've got sound that seems an unlikely option.

I have done the reset procedure a few times, but it isn't shifting the problem. The menus don't even come up, the screen is just blank. I have called Sky but they are telling me when I have to be home and I can't do it at the moment....

Cheers for the link Ross, I haven't had a chance to record anything as it was only upgraded yesterday. If I can't get it to work, I assume my old standard box will work with just one of the two dish leads connected to it?

it's a shame you've had a bad start with it - i wouldn't be without it now! You can even send record stuff via the website or by sending a text if you're not at home!

I know, I've looking forward to getting it too. You can even get the TV guide on your mobile and select which programme the same way you would at home, and it will record it. B)

When it works!! :lol::dry:

Guest prescience

Quick question as we plan to Sky+ soon, how easy is it to dump recorded stuff onto DVD, do you just need a DVD writer and what cabling? :blush:

Hope u get sorted Rob

very easy. The only downside is that you can't watch anything else while you copy stuff from your sky box to DVD so if you're like me you end up with a big list of stuff saved you intend to put on DVD but never do! I have multi room so I tend to record stuff straight onto the DVD recorder from the other box.

If I can't get it to work, I assume my old standard box will work with just one of the two dish leads connected to it?

Yeah that should work, the only thing they change on the dish when going to Sky+ is the LNB for the two feeds

:thumbs: Here goes.....!

Guest prescience
very easy. The only downside is that you can't watch anything else while you copy stuff from your sky box to DVD so if you're like me you end up with a big list of stuff saved you intend to put on DVD but never do! I have multi room so I tend to record stuff straight onto the DVD recorder from the other box.

Cheers :thumbs: - multiroom is the £10/month jobby? One step at a time :blush:

H5

Try using the S-Video output to see if it is just the scart/composite output that is hosed.

May have same result but work a go.

+1 Try different leads mate

My telly will need an S-Video input? It's a bit archaeic!! :blush:

Most TV's or vid's have S-Video.

If the TV does not, then you may be able to feed the output of sky to Vid and output that to the TV via scart. This was only to test as not a good permanent fix. Just to see if it is the SKY+ box at fault or other leads etc......

Other way is to temp swap the card and box with a neighbour that has SKY+ to see if it is the box at fault.

It's definitely the box. Swapped it back to my old box, and it works. On phone now to get my card recoded......

Ask for the month's subscription free by the way... you'll get it. If you also say you are fed up calling them and paying through the nose for the call, they'll credit your account :thumbs: Sky take plenty off me, so I like to get them back when I can.

It's definitely the box. Swapped it back to my old box, and it works. On phone now to get my card recoded......

Ask for the month's subscription free by the way... you'll get it. If you also say you are fed up calling them and paying through the nose for the call, they'll credit your account :thumbs: Sky take plenty off me, so I like to get them back when I can.

Good shout - I can use it to pay for me eBay scam! :blush: