hood wrapping

GeorgeW

I went to a local place to get priced up on having the hood and roof wrapping in gloss black, and the result was just shy of £300, which considering everyone seems to be doing the roof themselves, seemed a bit harsh, so I was wondering if the price was in the hood wrapping, due to the lines etc,

To the chaps who have done this, how hard is it actually to do? I have wrapped a hood before, but that was a small car (corsa D in CF!, sorry!)

cheers

The hood is a right PITA with the groves and curves I did my own but it's not great and needs redoing tbh some people find it easier than others but there is definitely a skill to wrapping and they are worth paying for someone to do. 300 isn't a bad price when your looking at 2-3 hours labour for 2 people and the materials

I wrapped my car and it was probably one of the harder panels due to it's size, especially the bonnet grooves. If you've got the time, space and some decent vinyl then it's definitely doable though. But as everyone else said, 2 people. 2-3 hours, £50+ in vinyl & tools

We properly cocked up and ended up with a scrunched up mess in one of the grooves due to a giant trapped air bubble and couldn't originally be bothered to sort it, since we'd been at it so long, but we then decided to sort it, which meant peeling off almost half the bonnet to get to it, worth it though in the end.

Edges are dead easy to wrap, back corners slightly annoying, not much space back there.

Ok thanks guys, I'm sure I could give it a go, but for the price of buying the bits, setting time aside to sort it with a mate, and potentially ruining the wrap, and ending up with nothing, I think it would be worth the extra and getting it wrapped by the pros, though I have been wrapping interior bits in CF, and that's is going well so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi buddy,

£300 is a very good price, although check what vinyl is being supplied. Dont use Hexis, 3m is good but i use Avery Supreme...by far the best and the glossiest.

Dont do it yourself, get a pro to do it. But do your homework and find a good company as there are a fair amount of 'so-called' wrappers out there.

• Like 1

I wanted to wrap the bonnet of my Clio 182 daily. I'd previously wrapped quite a few interior parts and some other odds n' ends, so felt I had the basics covered. I had a 'spare' bonnet that I was going to wrap, so this was off the car. I'd previously watched the roof on my Z being wrapped and watched numerous YouTube videos on how to wrap a bonnet and other major body panels.

So armed with a 'it can't be that hard, as the bonnet is pretty flat' attitude I ordered a big enough sheet of wrap off eBay and had a bash at doing it myself. After many MANY hours of trying to get it right, lots and I mean LOTS of swearing I eventually gave up. Threw in the towel and promised myself never to try again. Until about 20 mins later when I'd ordered another sheet of wrap and having learnt many 'what to do and what not to do' lessons.

New sheet of wrap arrived. Watched a few more vids as a refresh and set to work. All the parts that I couldn't get right on my first attempt I totally nailed. It looked perfect. But parts that looked perfect on my first attempt now looked sh1te on my second attempt. The problem areas had simply moved. :bang: More swearing, more hours wasted and my toys well and truly hurled out of my pram I gave up.

I text the guy that had done my Z and asked if he'd wrap my bonnet ndctold him my story. After many 'LOL, LMAO and PMSL' at my expense he took pity on me and told me to drop the bonnet round. It took him (a seasoned wrapper) 90 minutes to wrap my bonnet. The same bonnet I'd spent many hours trying to wrap.

I'm all for a bit of DIY (as anyone that knows me or my car will tell you), but sometimes you've just gotta let the professionals take over while you sit rocking to and fro in the corner.

• Like 1

thanks for that stroy mate, yes I think your right its worth getting the pros to do it.

The place in question actually wrapped the whole of our Sprinter van at work, and did a very nice job as well, that is why I wanted to give them a go. I think when the time comes, I will go for them. Your right, not worth the hassle doing DIY, its a very obvious part of the car and getting it wrong would ruin the look

• Like 1