Foggy windscreen - Leaking but no wet carpets.

Mikevv

Hi guys, I've noticed now with the colder weather that my air con just isn't clearing the windscreen like it used to, so I wiped it down with a cloth- it was bloody soaked!

This got me thinking, oh crap, must be a leak somewhere. Checked the carpets inside, but they are bone dry - same again in the boot.

I've checked the door seals and window seals but they all seem okay, (edit: I was washing the car and obviously sprayed them directly with a lot of water at the time, and tried to see if any seeped through, but dry as anything )

Can anyone suggest anywhere or anything to check in particular?

A bit embarrassing when I leave work and my nice shiny sports car is filled with water and I have to sit there wiping it down so I can see :(

I have those rechargable dehumidifiers in my car ( 4 of the buggers!!! ) and they used to last about a fortnight, then slowly a week, and now barely scrape through the damn weekend!

In my folks car they last nearly a month and they only use 2, so this needs sorting clearly - (Edit: I even tried using theirs and it made no difference)

Edited by Mikevv

Mine is pretty much the same at the moment, although without dehumidifiers. I put it down to high humidity and cold nights.

If you've got no leaks and the carpets are dry then it must be condensation.

Relative humidity is running at around 90% at the moment with all this wet weather we're having, and as your cabin is not completely airtight, then this moist air will get in and condense on the cold glass.

Doesnt have to be that cold either if the RH is 90% . Maybe shut your vents off and set a/c to recirc before you leave the zed. Might help I dont know.......thats my theory anyway. :)

I have had a few occasions over the past 10 years where the inside screen is dripping wet with condensation.

I'm sure I've no leaks as this is not rain related.

If you've no leaks and want to minimise the problem, try some of the silica bag type in car dehumidifier bags.

I haven't checked inside again recently, but the last few days my car has been bone dry inside, windows included, so I'm thinking that maybe it was just the moisture in the air mixed with the fact I drive my car at 10pm and then again at 8 am, so the car is warming up when its most cold outside, and then cooling down as the day itself warms up - double whammy of condensation !

Seems mostly fixed now, thanks guys :)

This time of year everyone had their heaters on, so you arrive at work inside of car is warm outside little above zero. You jump out lock the car and all this warm air inside the car rises and comes into contact with the cold glass, the rest elementary.

Jap car of the same era don't tend to breathe as well as they should resulting in condensation.

Just before I pull up and I'm warm, if I remember il switch the direct to the cabin and heaters to cold for the moment to try and help matters.