Changed from DSLR to mirrorless camera.....Not regretting it so far.

gangzoom

My much loved Canon 17-55mm f2.8 lens died this X-mas, and I was in two minds about if I should replace the lens or move to a different camera system. After some digging around went for a Olympus OM EM-5 Mark II. I know a few people here into photography, and here are some of my thoughts compared to my old Canon 550D.

The AF system:

The biggest reason I avoided with mirrorless cameras in the past is the inferiority of the AF system compared to a DLSR. The reviews on the current mirrorless systems like the Olympus, Sony, Panasonic suggest things are much better, so I thought why not give it a try :)

I have to say despite the lack of phase detection, the AF system on the Olympus is really good. Even in very dim conditions, it’s not really any better than the 550D, but not much worse. I suspect something like a 7D mark II would make the Olympus feel very slow especially in continuos tracking AF, but for my use, its good enough.

This was shot with street lighting only, focus point was the shifter, kit lens, 1 second exposure!!

23959956230_e3f72ac355_z.jpg

High ISO:

The 550D only really had a usable of ISO up to 1600, the EM-5 is about the same, 3200 is usable, but beyond that I would say it’s too noisy. I’m pretty sure a newer APS-C camera like a 750D will be ALOT better than the EM-5 at higher ISO, and full frame will be in a totally different league. But the 5 stop image stabilisation built into the EM-5 helps to improve things a bit in low-light situations. Though if your after the best ISO performance, stick to APS-C or even better full frame.

Depth of field:

One of the other concerns about moving to a smaller sensor is the loss of depth of field. Just as it happened we went to the same hotel we visited a few years ago, and the same night-cap drink was in the room. One is shot with my old 550D at 68mm f4, and one with EM-5 at 30mm f2.8. To me the differences in depth of field isn’t striking, but again on a FF system it would be better.

8085456343_4cbd30d810_z.jpg

24294252055_98ca42a99f_z.jpg

Overall use:

So far it may seem like APS-C/FF camera systems are better than even the most current mirrorless systems. But there is one advantage with EM-5 holds over my old 550D, and thats size/weight.

I had a budget of about £1000 to move from my 550D to another system - which would have just about enough to get a used 5D mark II + lens. I could have also got the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens (£500+) with the EM-5, but instead I went with the £140 kit lens. The reason is as below. Instead of having a camera that required it’s own bag, gathered attention from passer by, I now have a camera system that fits in my coat pocket :)

24232573025_eb046a2d92_z.jpg

You don’t need to pixel to peak to realise if your after the BEST image quality, FF/APS-C systems still kick ass. But I’m not a ‘pro’, and have no intention of trying to make any money from my photography. It’s a hobby, and the smaller size of the EM-5 means I can now enjoy taking photos again in situations where lugging around a DSLR is simply too much hassle.

In short, I’m loving the EM-5, and have now put all my Canon gear up for sale. I’m sure APS-C/FF systems will be around for a long time to come - if your after the best image quality its still FF all the way, but for me the EM-5 is close enough in terms of functionality and quality :).

Edited by gangzoom

Glad you're happy with your new purchase. :)

Yes, as technology moves on, the trend seems to be moving towards these mirrorless system cameras as they're a lot more compact, lighter and matching the quality of DSLR's.

I've just upgraded my old Nikon D80 to a 7100 body so I wont be changing over anytime soon, not this year anyhow.

However, if I go hill walking or on a long trek, I tend to leave all my Nikon gear at home and take this brick instead

Z_sigma_dp1m_beauty_zpsov7o7zb9.jpg

Its a Sigma Merrill DP1 with 19mm f2.8 lens

Official spec for sensor is 46MP but its a 3 layer Foveon APS-C (15MP per layer)

Its a quirky little camera and is crap above 800 ISO, sluggish, poor vid, eats batteries and writes slow

but takes great high resolution pics for blowing up on canvas.

Image below was taken 1/100th @ f9 100 ISO

zed-1_zpsgjt1x7ol.jpg

Put some pics up when you get chance so we can have a look :thumbs:

• Like 2

Was going to argue about the merits of compact system cameras but it appears mirrorless is just another way of saying it.

I got one of the 2nd generation Sony NEX alpha range and they are impressive. Not taken a bad shot with it.

I haven't got a clue when it comes to cameras but picked up a Panasonic G7 before Christmas for £339 which to me seemed a great buy. Im still learning what it can do but it's main purpose is to capture images and videos of our new born.

Not had much time to play with the camera, but tried the 'super hi res' mode:

Not sure how useful it is in real life, but for stills, does seem to deliver 'hi res', this was taken with the 30mm non-macro lens. With a macro lens on the detail picked up at 1:1 zoom will be crazy....I see an excuse to buy a macro lens :lol:

23722805074_1da3ca2f53_z.jpg

Zoomed to 1:1

24055413330_23415f86ca_z.jpg

That would be a 64Mb raw file then.

I understand the Olympus takes a sequence of 8 shots in quick succession and makes a 40Mb composite.

Sounds a bit like HDR.

When I combine just 3 images for HDR I end up with a 140Mb TIFF file which is madness!

As well as a macro lens, maybe another hard drive as well :teeth:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just taken the new toy on the it's first family holiday.

Loving the fact I can now fit ALL my camera gear in one small bag that use to be only big enough for one lens + 550D, and actually when out and about no need for a bag at all :)

24638300965_b8ca345309_z_d.jpg

Also loving the pancake kit lens, it's not the quickest but the performance is more than good enough for me - Though am no pro.

Really enjoy using the camera, even the shutter makes a lovely noise. Anyone currently still shooting with DSLRs need to give these mirrorless systems a try, they really are good!!

24011798704_bc2c0455c1_z_d.jpg

24011824534_508d55d54e_z_d.jpg

24613772236_54fc5cc041_z_d.jpg

24531627992_78e6e817fe_z_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Good read this, for those with Canons I still use my 350D :lol: had it for 9 years now with the same lenses although my everyday 18-55 lens has also just gone pop. I dug out my canon macro lens which I have probably put about 200 photos through and used it to produce this, although meant standing in a bush!

IMG_0010_Snapseed_zpsjwd8jzld.jpg

I would normally have not bothered with anything non DSLR but have to say I might have to sell the faithful old 350d with associated lenses and pick up something like a mirrorless.

• Like 1