Piston heads scam?

jimboy2

See below email

Someone has sent you a message:

Email: garthbarnes777+4ewsd323@gmail.com

Name:

Phone:

" I am interested in your vehicle. Can we negotiate a little on the price?

Regards "

Looking at the email address flags as a scam to me.

Your thoughts?

Anyone with a gmail account can put +anything after their email address and it will reach the same email so instead of me@gmail.com it could be me+pistonheads@gmail.com which people use for tracking and organising mails, but the random letters is a bit odd and plenty of scams via pistonheads so would be cautious.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but I happened to catch an episode of PistonHeads TV on Sky earlier (Showcase channel). And dear oh dear, what awful drivel. I'd have thought with a varied and vibrant forum that they have they could have cobbled together a reasonably interesting 30 minute TV show but they failed miserably. It seemed to be a bunch of London-centric foppy toffs making a show for other London-centric foppy toffs. And I'm from Chester so a bit of a toff too!

/rant over.

S.

Scam but Chester = toff?!? Thanks Squee I feel part of the aristocracy now :lol:

On a serious note I know what you mean, there is an elitist sort of atitude especially in places like bar lounge which is full of want to be people who aren't. I once witnessed a guy who ordered a bottle of "their most expensive champagne" to impress a girl only to get declined on his credit cards.

*says he who has just got in from "Church" :lol:

Anyone with a gmail account can put +anything after their email address and it will reach the same email so instead of me@gmail.com it could be me+pistonheads@gmail.com which people use for tracking and organising mails, but the random letters is a bit odd and plenty of scams via pistonheads so would be cautious.

The real email address would be "garthbarnes777@gmail.com", which is actually quite normal. Why he's chosen "+4ewsd323" is anyone's guess, maybe he has a reason for that code... personally I'd reply to him but be a bit cautious.