Front disk removal

Jay Kay

Is it possible to whip the disks off an HR without removing the calipers? I don't currently have my torque wrench so would rather not yank the calipers as I won't be able to torque them correctly when refitting. Most people probably don't even bother worrying about such things but I'm a bit nerdy like that.

• 1 month later...

How do people undo the caliper bolts? I cant get a breaker bar in there as not enough space and they are seriously tight. Am I missing a trick because after 6 hours out there I've manage to do 1 rear disc and pad change. Give me motorbikes anyday!

I've never had the pleasure of trying to do them on the Z yet, but I remember changing them on my mates Hyundai coupe and they were a nightmare too. On that I had to lay on my stomach with my shoulder pressed into the disc itself and managed to give it a good yank from there. One bolt did snap mind you but think that was down to rust more than anything.

Don't know if that position would be any help to you on the Z Zeus.

How do people undo the caliper bolts? I cant get a breaker bar in there as not enough space and they are seriously tight. Am I missing a trick because after 6 hours out there I've manage to do 1 rear disc and pad change. Give me motorbikes anyday!

What I did... is probably very wrong... but worked... First I sprayed penetrating fluid on the bolts and then I used a large hammer/mallet to tap the spanner until it was loose enough to turn by hand.

What I did... is probably very wrong... but worked... First I sprayed penetrating fluid on the bolts and then I used a large hammer/mallet to tap the spanner until it was loose enough to turn by hand.

That's what I did for the rear caliper but it just won't budge the front. I've given up now as my back is totally done in and my swearing was getting louder, guess I'll have to let the garage do it.

What a difference a day makes and a fresh head, did other 3 wheels in just over 2 hours! I picked the only one with seized caliper bolts as my first one to change as it turned out , all the others were straight forward :lol: