Quaife fitting help 370z

nissanman312

I'm wondering if anyone can clear this up

I've spoken with quafie today regarding fitting there diff to the 370z

The chap on the phone was helpfull but wasn't sure if the 370z would except the diff as a straight swap

I have the 370z gt I assumed this has the vlsd

I know when fitting the Quaife to the 370z auto some shafts from the 350 are needed

But thought I'd read it went straight in the vlsd pumpkin on the manual 370z

Can anyone clear this up

Screenshot_2016-01-08-13-12-18_zpsvmxmyrbv.png

Screenshot_2016-01-08-13-13-23_zpspsdcqv1j.png

This is what Quaife sent me regarding the 350z

Quaife Differentials require no modification to install in a Base model vehicle with open style factory diff. However if your car is equipped with a factory LSD you have two possible options to properly install an aftermarket Limited Slip Differential:

A. Purchase a Base Model LSD and add the optional Stub Shaft assembly

B. Purchase the Factory LSD Model Differential and DO NOT purchase the Stub Shaft assembly, this will require the long stub shaft to be machined.

Please note: Both versions of the Quaife Differentail are identical in operation and specifications.

http://www.the370z.c...d-question.html

Edited by octet@TORQEN

Worth doing the diff bushes at the same time i guess ?

I think so , at least have them in case the old ones are goosed as it makes sense, I have them (Whiteline not the cheaper ones) , the 350z half shafts as mine is an auto and a NISMO finned diff cover waiting to go on mine when I do the diff

All UK 370Z have Viscous LSD I think.

I think the shaft is the same as a 350Z Nick I can send you a machined shaft and you can send your un-machined shaft back;

I have a few spare 350Z LSD units in stock

Mark.

This could well be the way forward I may take you up on that

Josh. it's a viscous diff not verry good I don't think

Good this is hard work tring to get all the parts in my head needed and costing together for the job

All UK 370Z have Viscous LSD I think.

I think the shaft is the same as a 350Z Nick I can send you a machined shaft and you can send your un-machined shaft back;

I have a few spare 350Z LSD units in stock

Mark.

This could well be the way forward I may take you up on that

Josh. it's a viscous diff not verry good I don't think

Good this is hard work tring to get all the parts in my head needed and costing together for the job

Ya realised the standard viscous diff is pretty pants ..... My Quaife should be here on Monday :)

What ever you do don't add it up Nic ! Just buy the diff and worry about the rest when you fit it !! Hahaha

mark is the new oem bearing kit necessary ?

Depends on if there are bearings on the shafts or not , you normally press the new bearing on , you shouldnt really reuse the old ones

Edited by Richf

It was not possible to cut the shafts down to length, as some have suggested. There are some retaining clip rings that just don't engage when this is done (ask me how I know... In other news I have some lovely half-shaft door stops!)

Not everything is required in the fitting kit that I purchased. I think they used only the seals. I still have the pinion carrier bearings.

So you need a shafts from a 350 rather than cutting shafts down

I believe for the auto its a better fit than cutting the stock ones down , dunno for the manual

If by better fit you mean "doesn't just fall out because it's not retained" then yes, you need the part. That's what happened when the cutting option was tried.

So you need a shafts from a 350 rather than cutting shafts down

I believe for the auto its a better fit than cutting the stock ones down , dunno for the manual

If by better fit you mean "doesn't just fall out because it's not retained" then yes, you need the part. That's what happened when the cutting option was tried.

Machining isn't the same as cutting ;) the standard shafts can be machined as per Abbeys info