wideband oxygen sensor location 2005 350z

philw99

Trying to confirm the best location for my new wideband oxygen sensor, the De-Cats already have o2 sensors connected to the ECU on each side.

This is just a warning system for me...

Can't help but feel the best location is after the de-cats as the two pipes join.

Mine's abit like this one:

Nissan+Fairlady+350Z+rear+exhaust+%2526+y-pipe+2.jpg

Any recommendations? would that be ok or too far away from the engine.

help greatly received :)

Can't remember where exactly mine is fitted...but pretty sure it's just before O2 sensor and at different side/angle, so you don't block/restrict air/gas flow to O2 sensors if that makes sense.

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

Are you trying to fit a aftermarket wide-band sensor and gauge setup? if so you can fit to the decats as the std cat monitor sensors are turned off, I have used twin wide-bands in the std cats, and it does mess with the AFR reading slightly, but not enough to make a big difference, but with decats it will read correctly.

• Like 1

Are you trying to fit a aftermarket wide-band sensor and gauge setup? if so you can fit to the decats as the std cat monitor sensors are turned off, I have used twin wide-bands in the std cats, and it does mess with the AFR reading slightly, but not enough to make a big difference, but with decats it will read correctly.

Sorry probably should have said it's for an aftermarket gauge setup :) won't this only read one side of the engine? E.g. any issues on the other side i won't know about it.

Also the De-cats have the sensors set right back, not in the exaust flow. think it's to fool the orignal none up rev ECU setup

Will try and dig out a picture of them.

Sorry probably should have said it's for an aftermarket gauge setup :) won't this only read one side of the engine? E.g. any issues on the other side i won't know about it.

Also the De-cats have the sensors set right back, not in the exaust flow. think it's to fool the orignal none up rev ECU setup

Will try and dig out a picture of them.

Look how far back the o2 sensors are:

impp_1006_01_o%2Bmotordyne%2Badvanced_resonance_tuning_pipes.jpg

Yes fitting to one side will only read that bank of cylinders, which is why I used a double sensor setup,

I thought you said that you had an up rev tune, and that the cat monitor sensors where turned off?

So there is no need to have them fitted other than for blocking the apertures.

I presume the pic is of some odd resonated decats, so yes the sensor position on those are not ideal.

If you are running a two into one system and not true twin then yes your better off welding in a take off where the two pipes join, but as mentioned already if you already have a tune the wide band setup/gauge is just as a monitor, if there was a major problem you would see a CEL from the ECU lambda sensors.

• Like 1

with older sensors position was important but as far as i'm aware modern heated sensors don't have this problem so you should be able to put it in the end of the y pipe the tip of the sensor should be pointed down so moisture doesn't collect in it personally i just put mine in the passenger side cat seems to read just fine.

IMAG0826_zpsdxylutnv.jpg

IMAG0828_zps1q0ujdah.jpg

IMAG0842_zpsgacrgf0m.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Passenger side (bank 2) always seem to run leaner on a FI car.

Running an after market wide band in the ART pipe rear sensor position isn't really the right thing to do this is done to help stop throwing catalytic converter efficieny DTC by restricting flow to sensor so a wide band will also see a non honest signal.

The wide banded AFR cars we will tune using the stock front wide bands figure from these is pretty good. The earlier cars like early DE JDM imports have narrow band sensors which are a little slower to respond.