Newbie, looking to buy my first ever Z project

Georgina

Hi, I'm looking to start my new project in next few months, buying a 350z and modifying it, I have been looking on auctions gathering that if I'm going to strip it all anyway and start from scratch it dosent matter if it has some damage!! Can somebody give me an idea weather they think I'm better off buying from auction or trade or private?

I suppose it depends on budget, and what mods you plan on doing. If you're replacing the bodywork as you said, then that doesn't matter.

What are your plans for the engine? If you're not planning on replacing/rebuilding the engine, then your concern should be good service history.

Can't see that where you source it from is going to make much difference, barring the fact that you won't be able to test drive from an auction.

^^ Some good points raised by Gappy.

Personally I'd say whatever Zed you buy don't hand over any cash without test driving it yourself first & checking out the history (including HPI check etc). I'd forget the auctions (only imho) and personally be looking at private & trade garages.

If you're planning a lot of cosmetic type mods then ideally the main thing you want to be looking at in that case is the condition of the engine & serviceable parts like brakes, suspension etc.

The service schedule I've linked below for you will be important to you & useful for you to take with you when you look at any secondhand Zeds as it will let you know what things should have been done to the Zed depending on the age/mileage.

350Z service schedule: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/31110-service-schedule-for-a-350z/

Buyers guide: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/77426-buyers-guide/

Guide for new members/potential owners: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/22880-guide-for-new-memberspotential-buyers/

What are your plans ideally will help people advise you better & also your budget for the car. :thumbs:

Sounds obvious but buy the best car to suit your budget, doesnt matter where it comes from :)

If you buy a cat c or d just bear in mind it will impact resale value so may not be the bargain it appears at first glance.

What are you plans, kit/wheels/interior/engine?

Thanks guys, ok firstly I plan to super charge it, exteria wise I wana do the usual to change the stance and overall look of car, lowered on coil overs im hoping this be enough to get the slammed look without gettin air ride, Rota grids, body kit, the idea is to supercharge but dunno if I should get all the little engine mods done first then outside and see how I feel, just worried Iv heard a lot of issues with them after they been supercharged, I wanting it to have the show car look in the end with full respray and all inside pulled out and bespoke fitted, I'm looking to spend around 5k as I want basic standard one that I can start from scratch so ideally 2004 2005 low millege lady owned factory one then take it on the journey from standard too CRAZY :-) over a few years lol x thanks everyone for your comments

Welcome Georgina,

Best of look getting the car you are after, zeds for sale on here is a good place to keep an eye on, as well as autotrader, Gumtree and Ebay. It took me about six months to find the one I was after.

Quite a lot of money involved in supercharging a zed, about 5k by the sounds of things, going from what the experts say on here!

Sounds like you want to totally change the zed, kinda like Amy and her show car: