Repositioning ESP (traction control) button

Tuck

Sooo I wasn't keen on reaching down to turn the traction control off and accidentally washing the head lights. So I fancied moving it to where the heated seat switches are. Easier access and all ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

You'll need the heated seat switches or the blanks where they are usually.

tuck4.jpg.9ac574710f77e572f0f2a37d3c08ee05.jpg

You'll need to be able solder wires together, so if you haven't much experience than ask someone who has.

You'll need:

Philips head screw driver (PZ2)

Solder equipment

1.5m length of 4 core wiring (22gauge)

So first you'll need to remove the lower piece if the dash below the steering wheel, I found it easiest to just unplug and unscrew everything to remove it entirely. Detach bonnet release etc.

2 screws and a few pull tabs.

tuck5.jpg.647569c718fb393d461624d515f3fd00.jpgtuck7.jpg.5aa0f894af731bff40abc1851ae601d1.jpg

Next you'll want to remove the protective foam around the wiring and label the 4 wires twice going to the ESP switch. (Numbered Patches of masking tape works best) and cut the 4 wires between the 2 labels. There's 1 blue/yellow wire, 1 red/ blue and 2 black with silver markings.

tuck6.jpg.f67101399458ada953897a2020b7ae73.jpg

Now you'll want to solder your cable onto the OEM cable, using the numbers. Remove the center console (2 screws under gear stick panel, 1 under the ashtray and 2 either side near where the seat belts plug in). Careful as the wiring loom for hazard lights are here, and it can but a bit fiddly getting it over the hand brake!

Once the cable it routed, solder the button end to your wire, remove the button blank and replace with the ESP button, put the blank over the original ESP button location.

Reassemble and Voila!

(Apologies for the quality of the guide, everyone's first time is a bit shakey 😉)

Sent from my potato using duct tape

You haven't mentioned it but before altering any wiring I hope you disconnected the battery? Good idea although it won't suit the people who lean on the heated swat switches with their elbows. :drive1

Forgot about that haha, mine was already disconnected from removing air bags etc! I'll add it to the guide, cheers though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay so I've decided to try and sort this large elbow problem by moving the ESP button to the furthest away button slot, I'll let you know if it works

So closest to the passenger? I already don't like having the handbrake on the passenger side, I had a passenger put the handbrake on slightly with their hand bag and I didn't notice until I smelled burning brakes. :scare: (I've changed brakes since then anyway).

Okay so I've decided to try and sort this large elbow problem by moving the ESP button to the furthest away button slot, I'll let you know if it works

So closest to the passenger? I already don't like having the handbrake on the passenger side, I had a passenger put the handbrake on slightly with their hand bag and I didn't notice until I smelled burning brakes. :scare: (I've changed brakes since then anyway).

Noo closest to the driver, sits too close to the seat for you to hit it with your elbow. Plus the light comes on if you were to hit. Did the light not come on to say your handbrake was on? Is there a light?