New H02S sensor 6 months ago - faulty already!?

thedon

I replaced both heated O2 sensors in March and one has been repeatedly throwing a P1146 error for month already.

Before I contact NTK (orOpie as retailer?), is it likely to be a faulty sensor or could it be something else (e.g. Cat)?

Any thoughts and ideas welcome.

Cheers,

Howard

The reason for the CEL is because the expected signal voltage is out of range, because of the absence of the cats, which they are there to monitor, as said get them turned off, some get away with spacers but it wont always help.

Rich - they weren't cheapo generic sensors - proper NTK branded at £85 each from memory.

The reason for the CEL is because the expected signal voltage is out of range, because of the absence of the cats, which they are there to monitor.

Thanks, but why would they have been fine for the last 6 months, plus the other sensor is still OK?

You have answered your own question regarding the probable cause.

Either fit O2 simulators, or get them turned off.

Thanks Alex. What are O2 simulators?

Are the O2 sensors not required at all with HFCs?

Simulators is just the fancy name for spacers. :lol:

O2 sensors can be turned off for all models of VQ35DE 350s :thumbs:

• Like 1

The reason for the CEL is because the expected signal voltage is out of range, because of the absence of the cats, which they are there to monitor, as said get them turned off, some get away with spacers but it wont always help.

Rich - they weren't cheapo generic sensors - proper NTK branded at £85 each from memory.

The reason for the CEL is because the expected signal voltage is out of range, because of the absence of the cats, which they are there to monitor.

Thanks, but why would they have been fine for the last 6 months, plus the other sensor is still OK?

With the Berks, in my limited personal experience, they could go for ages with no CEL. Then twice in quick succession. Cold weather, water splash, different types of journey. Who knows?

• Like 1

Thanks Alex - I assume to turn off the sensors is a remap (the car had an uprev, so presume I still have the license for a return visit)?

Cheers,

Howard

Regardless of sensor make they are basically there to monitor the condition of the cats, some cars seem to get away with no CEL and some get CEL as soon as cats are swapped out, and some get away with using spacers, its the luck of the draw,

The CAT sensor is looking for high oxygen content unlike the front engine sensor, so that's why spacers work sometimes as they are not in the main exhaust flow, but I think there is a fair amount of leeway built into the figure that the ECU is expecting hence why you didn't have a CEL for several months.

Thanks Alex - I assume to turn off the sensors is a remap (the car had an uprev, so presume I still have the license for a return visit)?

Cheers,

Howard

Yes mate, Uprev. :thumbs: