Mk1 mr2

Roscoe

Have been given the opportunity to get out on some trackdays in my father in laws mk1 mr2.

Car was used a few years ago for mr2 race series and the Nippon challenge for 3 years running.

In mr2 class it was in top 5 finishing throughout most of the time it was raced.

Car hasn't been used for about two years now.

Today I dug her out the garage to start preparing for some trackday fun next year.

I know what is going to happen next, I will want to race it.

As it is this is classed as very cheap racing....

Anyway a couple of pics from today

434f32ee63a9f6387bf28b856bb5573d.jpg

3c52fb2dd5a23518efd18c0e6c131553.jpg612f36b7eb940647bc340fccf003f8e2.jpg

It's basically standard engine wise, it's running on slightly lower and stiffer springs and arb's not sure on the make yet as have yet to get underneath and have a proper look.

Yellow stuff pads on standard discs all round.

These seem to be fine as it use to race for up to 20 mins with no fade! It was running a slightly more free flowing exhaust but was too loud for most trackdays so has been replaced for the standard exhaust.

Two cobra bucket seats with harnesses and bolt in roll cage, most interior removed apart from the dashboard :)

• 3 months later...

Trackday yesterday at Bedford autodrome in the mr2.

Started off the day with badly unbalanced front wheels so had to pull in on sighting lap.

Luckily had a spare set of wheels.

The day was good other than that.

Went along with my brother in his track built 106 gti and a friend on the forum in his 350 hr.

Everyone was surprised at how well the little mr2 goes!!

Especially a guy in his bmw m6 who didn't look too impressed seeing me in his mirror for 3 laps until he finally gave in and let me pass!

Gave the little car hell all day not missing a beat. Not being passed by anything other than radicals and caterhams.

Had some fun with a few mx5's.

Will upload some vids once downloaded from the camera!

Bit of film from a handheld with brother giving chase in his 106. 155bhp vs 125 always shows at higher speed!! https://vimeo.com/160019850

• Like 1

Ive got a Mk3 and its amazing what the low weight means it can do - corner speed and braking as as good as Porsche GT3's, its just the straights where they lose out a bit :lol:

Once you get to the point of 4 wheel drifting you realise just how good MR can be, I cant part with our one now :lol:

• Like 1