Gunmetal paint glaze polish query

Jay M1988

Hey all,

Now I have done my research and would like peoples experiences and opinions on the above.

I using a da machine polisher on the car.

I've narrowed my selection down to three.

Chemical guys Blacklight/Poorboys white diamond/Poorboys blackhole

With I being Gunmetal I'm unsure as to what will work best as Ill be topping this up by hand with collinite wax which I love for its durability

Thank you

I have used the Poorboys White Diamond glaze, following recommendations on this forum, on my gunmetal Zed, with good results.

It is a durable, easy to apply product, which certainly enhances the metallic fleck in the paintwork.

You may wish to PM illogical for his comments, as he is extremely knowledgeable about all things detailing!!

I wouldn't use any of them, tbh. If you have a DA, then use a proper polish on it to actually remove the defects rather than just cover them up.

Blackhole is good, but full of fillers (which is okay, that's the idea of it!) which will only come out with time. It's a great product to use by hand, but with machine I always prefer to use something that will make life easier for you in the future for the same effort. :)

Ah, didn't realise that, my bad. In that case, if you've already removed everything you can with the DA (what compound did you use btw?), then no harm covering what remains with a glaze. Any of those you mentioned will do, although I'd probably go with the White Diamond if you pushed me. :)

I've already replied to this in PM, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this wondering the same/similar question I'll summarise;

White Diamond & Black Hole are essentially identical - both work equally well on light or dark cars, despite the marketing. That said, Black Hole smells awesome, so I'd buy that.

Black Light is one of those products that Chemical Guys just can't decide what it is/does, so promise the moon on a stick... and deliver a stick. It's a pretty good stick, but it's missing a moon - or in less analogous (that's a word...) words; it's a decent enough glaze, just don't believe anything else CG (UK or US) tell you about it. My preference would still be Black Hole.

That said though, if you're using a Collinite wax, I simply wouldn't bother with a glaze - Colli is solvent heavy so will (partially at least) strip any glaze underneath it.

So; for looks - Black Hole/White Diamond topped with an oily wax (Poorboys Natty's is perfect, the Blue one for no reason other than the smell again really, and very cheap).

For durability - straight Colli, no glaze at all.

Also, Dan - Black Hole is great by hand, but try it by machine just once; it's a whole new level! B)

• Like 1