Does this bush look right?

Smc1992

Hi guys

When I am driving there is a noise which seems to occur with every half revolution of the wheel, like there is a screw or something in the tyre. So I checked the tyres and noticed my rears were bald and fronts barely legal so I decided to buy a full set.

The noise is now more noticeable (I think). I dont know if my mind is playing tricks with me now but I also think I can feel/hear this noise more when driving at say 30 / 40mph whilst on a sweeping left. There is also a bit of wheel wobble when I am at around 60/70mph.

I took all the wheels off to check the wheel bearings and I could feel no play/wobble in any of them so I had a look at all the bushes I could see, I noticed something that I thought was strange but I am not 100% sure so I thought I would show it to some of you guys.

I dont know what this arm is called but there are bushes at either side.

shot%20of%20both%20bushes_zps4etfnvnj.jpg

on one side you can see the bush protruding through both sides of the sleeve as below (not a clear photo so you might not be able to see)

bush%20either%20side_zps5tjscsvj.jpg

But on the other side of the arm you can see the bush at one side but at the other it doesnt look like anything is there, like the bush isnt seated correctly?

no%20bush_zpssmoeobpc.jpg

It is exactly the same on the other side but I have no idea whether that is meant to be like that!

I intend to polybush every bush but would just like to know where this noise is coming from because it is driving me mad. All I can tell is that it is from the front of the car, sometimes I convince myself its from the drivers side and other times I convince myself its passenger side.

Any help would be much appreciated

I like it, genuinely didnt cross my mind how many ways bush can be interpreted until now :lol:

I work in shipbuilding, the amount of funny words you hear in that industry is fascinating: flange; nipple; c*ck; shaft and penetration, to name but a few are all meaningful technical words in the right context, yet hilarious when you have the mind of a 5 year old and caught off guard. :lol:

Anyway back on topic. Someone help this man with his bush!!

Edited by Puffmac

Well I couldnt feel any play in the wheel bearings and the brake shield doesnt appear to be catching. Tyre weights are all there but I think I need to have the wheels re-balanced to try and elimate the wheel shaking at higher speeds, the wheel shaking is probably down to a worn bush though isnt it?

I think the route I need to take is start by replacing bushes until the problem goes

I've had bearings on the Z where there was no play at all but when the mechanic took the front apart it practically disintegrated. To me a thrum means a bearing and a thrum at particular speeds is the first sign. Louder sounds on turn are also a good indicator as the bearing loads up. The speed range will widen and the noise will increase.

Clarkesport will have a bearing at a decent (i.e. not dealer) price.

Edited by Toon Chris

Well I had new tyres just before JAE and they were balanced before they fit them, I then went and had 4 wheel alignment done straight away and the rears were miles out apparently :/

Yeah ill speak to Ewen see what he says

Yes the wheels are balanced when new tyres are fitted like mine were but then I had to go back and get them balanced again and found that one was out on the front giving me the steering wheel vibrations at motorway speeds.

It will be one of the fronts out slightly giving you the wheel wobble at high speeds.