Looking insurance advice

belfastboy0

Hey guys,

Just bought a beautiful 350z! Looking to see if anyone on here can advise as to the best course of action for me

-- I live in Northern Ireland, I know a good amount of companies only cover the mainland UK so that rules out some immediately.

-- I am 24, male, and have just moved back from USA where I lived for 5 years. I've had my license since I was 17 but obviously only have a year or 2 NCB from 2008 or so. I was driving in USA but insurance works very differently there so doubt anything would transfer.

-- My family has an Admiral multicar plan which allows each person in the household to have their own policy while still getting discounts.

-- The zed I bought is very stock. I will be looking to add a few basic, subtle mods (thinking exhaust, intake, HFC down the line, maybe coilovers and alloys at some point) so need to keep this in mind.

Now you have a bit of background here is my question. Am I better to:

-- Keep the zed as a weekend car, and pick up a cheap diesel car to drive daily which will obviously help save petrol cost, but was thinking may also help insurance if the zed is on as a second/limited mileage vehicle or something? Advice here from any insurance guys as to if/how much this will likely affect quote would be appreciated

OR

-- I still live at home and my father has a diesel Fiat Doblo van and a BMW. I also have the option to just insure the zed in my name and then drive the Fiat on longer trips and sort of flip between the two when I need as my dad has other transport.

Other queries I've always had but aren't essential (just looking to feed curiosity)

-- I have the option to keep the zed in my driveway or in the garage. Will either choice affect premium?

-- As I just got back from USA I am currently unemployed, although will be working soon. Will this affect premium?

-- Are there any other worthwhile things to do that will have an effect on insurance? As I said I've been out of the country a while and feel I have gotten behind on knowing the system here. Please don't think I'm trying to cheat the system or lie in any way, just want to make myself as appealing to insurance companies as I can.

Thanks people.

Pete

Edited by belfastboy0

No point driving the Fiat, all that does is mean that you'll reduce the premium a fraction on the Zed as you won't need much mileage on it. It really won't make much of a difference though. The first option won't be any cheaper either, as then you're insuring two vehicles with 0 NCB. I've done that with my MR2 as a second car, made sod-all difference.

Getting a job will DEFINITELY bring your premium down. Garage is usually a bit pricier but we're talking a few quid, for me it's more important to keep the car safe than worry about £10.

Just ring up some companies and get some quotes, at least you know where you're at then.

-- As I just got back from USA I am currently unemployed, although will be working soon. Will this affect premium?

Thanks people.

Pete

Yes, occupation or being unemployed can have a massive impact on what you pay, read this.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2225218/Top-expensive-jobs-car-insurance--cheapest.html

Pete

I don't think what mileage you declare will have much effect on the premium, the fact you're a 24yo male will make more difference. Certainly any saving you make by putting the zed on a limited mileage policy wouldn't be enough to offset the additional cost of buying and insuring another car.

Personally I would add it perfectly legitimately to the admiral multicar policy - that's who my zed was insured with all the time I had it, they worked out way cheaper. plus also, surely you wanna drive the zed as much as possible now you've bought it?

Thanks people.

Pete

Yes, occupation or being unemployed can have a massive impact on what you pay, read this.

http://www.thisismon...--cheapest.html

Pete

Interesting article! I play amateur Irish League so I won't have to worry about the premiership footballer rates until next season when Van Gaal sends me the call up! Really hard to know what to do. Drive as a named driver on my dads policy until I get a job? Doubt insurance is going to reduce my policy if I change status from unemployed to employed.

I don't think what mileage you declare will have much effect on the premium, the fact you're a 24yo male will make more difference. Certainly any saving you make by putting the zed on a limited mileage policy wouldn't be enough to offset the additional cost of buying and insuring another car.

Personally I would add it perfectly legitimately to the admiral multicar policy - that's who my zed was insured with all the time I had it, they worked out way cheaper. plus also, surely you wanna drive the zed as much as possible now you've bought it?

Thanks for your input mate. I have heard people say admiral doesn't like mods. Any experience with that or was your zed stock? Yea may just stick the zed on the multicar and then steal my dads van on occasions.

No point driving the Fiat, all that does is mean that you'll reduce the premium a fraction on the Zed as you won't need much mileage on it. It really won't make much of a difference though. The first option won't be any cheaper either, as then you're insuring two vehicles with 0 NCB. I've done that with my MR2 as a second car, made sod-all difference.

Getting a job will DEFINITELY bring your premium down. Garage is usually a bit pricier but we're talking a few quid, for me it's more important to keep the car safe than worry about £10.

Just ring up some companies and get some quotes, at least you know where you're at then.

Somehow missed this post first time round. Cheers for your input. I have no problem calling around a few places, just figured I would try and get a handle on what I'm trying to insure so I can streamline the calling process. Will get some quotes and update this thread. Anyone know if I get insurance, say tomorrow for example, and then get employed 2 weeks from now, whether there is anyway the insurance company will adjust my payment for this year? Only other way around it I can think of is hold off for a couple of weeks until I get my job sorted then insure the car, if it's going to make that much difference. In USA when you adjusted your policy the insurance company would just credit (or debit) the card that you made your payment with, This was nice when changing from an rb25det swapped s14 to a bog standard s13 as they just adjusted my premium pro rata and credited $400 back into my account. Don't see companies doing that here somehow...

I would expect them to adjust your premium by a few quid, then charge you £30 admin fee for the pleasure.

Try GoCompare.com and see what happens. It'll probably be cheaper to insure on the road or driveway, but as Ekona said, only by a few quid. Admiral are fine with mods so long as you can categorise them into as few as possible, eg. HFCs and cat back exhaust would be "exhaust changes" rather than individually listed.

I have no doubt Admiral will give you the best price, especially if you can pay up front as they load the hell out of it if you choose monthly.

I would expect them to adjust your premium by a few quid, then charge you £30 admin fee for the pleasure.

Try GoCompare.com and see what happens. It'll probably be cheaper to insure on the road or driveway, but as Ekona said, only by a few quid. Admiral are fine with mods so long as you can categorise them into as few as possible, eg. HFCs and cat back exhaust would be "exhaust changes" rather than individually listed.

I have no doubt Admiral will give you the best price, especially if you can pay up front as they load the hell out of it if you choose monthly.

Cheers for the advice mate. Got my MOT up in Belfast tonight, once I get that and insurance sorted we should look at getting some of the guys together for a meet if you're up for it.