Is changing the sat nav to entertainment possible?

Hello!

I'm the proud new owner of a gorgeous 2006 model 350 GT roadster in sunset orange!

My car comes with sat nav, I was wondering if this could either be changed for an entertainment system or if I can somehow get the track title etc of whatever music is playing displayed on the screen?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

Edited by Vicki350

Welcome - Would it not be easier to swap out the existing Bose system and drop something in the cavity ? Would have thought that a satnav would have been of more benefit than having a track displayed. Well at least you would know what track you were listening to when lost ;)

There are lots of options available as regards ICE and not that expensive but ripping out a perfectly serviceable OEM satnav is probably not a good move.

Edited by Mudman

I have the Pioneer App Radio fitted to mine - its a bit of a problem child but recent software updates have made it OK It mirrors the iphone so you can use Waze etc - My Satnav is still there and its good for anywhere in Japan but useless in the UK.

6658402D-3C01-4015-A178-62CB1AD56CAA_zpszo2rtzye.jpg

• Like 1

My kenwood has sat nav, DVD, CD, radio (not working as have stubby) and USB. TBH I only use the sat nav and USB, (my iPod's connected in the armrest).....don't really use CDs, nowhere to store them in the Zed anyway. The original sat nav bugs me when people get in the car and open it and ask what it is and I tell them it's another sat nav and they give me a really disappointed look :(

Thank you! 😊 That sounds ideal, did it swap over ok? I've since been told (by Halfords so not taking it as gospel) that if I take the radio out then it'll make the sat nav redundant. Any ideas if that's correct? Although I don't use the sat nav I wouldn't want to make it unusable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I remember reading, the Satnav won't "speak" without the Bose system, but will still display instructions as usual. However don't quote me on that :/

I will indeed quote you, and confirm you are correct :D. The satnav itself is run off of the DVD-ROM drive behind the driver's seat, however the sound is tied into the bose headunit, so removing it will prevent the satnav talking.

There are workarounds, however.

Ahh I see! What are the possible workarounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people splice into the audio wires on the satnav loom and wire in a small speaker behind the dash dedicated to the satnav only. Others have got a bit more complex with it and have also wired a switched live from the satnav into their headunit's "phone mute" connector on the back, which means the audio from the headunit will mute whilst the satnav is talking. I believe there are a few threads on here regarding it.

I also have the oem satnav and an aftermarket headunit, but for all I use it I don't really miss the audio. I tend to use a TomTom when i need satnav anyway as it has live updates etc. I am considering retrofitting the centre cubby actually if I can find the parts for a reasonable price!