Spray Painting Centre Console Question

Dicky

Anyone spray painted their centre console from gear knob surround up. I've just sprayed my drivers door arm rest control switch panel with Halfords "Rubberised" paint and am quite pleased with it. I was wondering if I commit to the gear knob surround etc, which has that bubble effect finish, do you have to rub it all down or can you just spray on top.

Like many others the bubbles around the gear knob surround are starting to burst exposing a grey underside and it's looking a bit tatty ?

I feared that may be the case. Have you done it yourself and discovered it's better to rub it all down?

yea i did my once, before it was hydro dipped...and yea, ive sanded it down and then used normal primer to make sure its fully smooth.

I used matt black plastidip on mine about 3 months ago and it looks completely OEM. First time I've used it, I was more than a little sceptical, but It's good stuff. Just wish it was permanent

I didn't rub it down though, just degreased it.

If I was using permanent paint then yeah, I'd rub it down and do it properly.

Edited by Juggalo

ive just started doing mine and that stuff on the centre console is a bitch to rub down started using 80 n 60 grit and it still pretty tough stuff

might be worth priming and re-sanding with a fine grit to get a smooth base for the paint... think this will be my plan... unless someone with more experience thinks this is a bad idea?

Thanks for the input all. Been mucho busy lately and forgot to respond. My main concern with spray painting is its resistance to scratching and would it all be in vain.

What do you think the original covering on the gear knob surround and gauge panel is, some sort of wrap or paint?

Getting a good finish with paint is all about preparation. I've painted guitars etc and one time I got impatient and used to course a sand paper on the body of a guitar. Couldn't see or feel the grooves left by the sand paper but by golly gosh when the paint went on it was obvious.

Sand it. Sand it again then sand it some more. Then make sure it's CLEAN. Wash it. Dry it. Then give it a good hosing down with electrical contact cleaner.

• Like 1

Getting a good finish with paint is all about preparation. I've painted guitars etc and one time I got impatient and used to course a sand paper on the body of a guitar. Couldn't see or feel the grooves left by the sand paper but by golly gosh when the paint went on it was obvious.

Sand it. Sand it again then sand it some more. Then make sure it's CLEAN. Wash it. Dry it. Then give it a good hosing down with electrical contact cleaner.

Prob better to use panel wipe than electrical contact cleaner if for not better reason it's cheaper!

That's usually a chipsaway special......Sanding lines under the base coat.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the input all. Been mucho busy lately and forgot to respond. My main concern with spray painting is its resistance to scratching and would it all be in vain.

What do you think the original covering on the gear knob surround and gauge panel is, some sort of wrap or paint?

Rubberised coating I would guess. Utter swine to remove but it's doable.

In terms of resistance.....if you do it properly then it should be as hard wearing as the exterior paint work.

Ah scratch that......just read first post properly.

No mate unfortunately rubberised paint isn't the most hardy on high traffic areas.

We've done whole cars with the proper plastidip and it is pretty durable but I've spayed handles with a plastidip rattle can and its only lasted a few months.

Plastidip primer will give better adhesion so I'm told but I've never use it

I've just sanded mine down and primed it all. I painted it an electric blue but it has come out alot lighter than I would of prefered. I just have a clear lacquer to put on, then i will see what it looks like in the car before i change.

If i don't like it, I might offer it to a forum member in a swap for unpainted set of trim. Seems a waste to just sand it all down again to change the colour. Someone could be very happy with it

Ah scratch that......just read first post properly.

No mate unfortunately rubberised paint isn't the most hardy on high traffic areas.

We've done whole cars with the proper plastidip and it is pretty durable but I've spayed handles with a plastidip rattle can and its only lasted a few months.

Plastidip primer will give better adhesion so I'm told but I've never use it

Thanks for that!

I like all of the painted efforts above, they all look professional. I would also like to retain the bubbles textured look if I spray. However my problem is that some of the bubbles at the front of the gear lever surround look like they've burst, showing a grey colour underneath. I concerned that if I just spray over the top that this damage will still be evident.

I've also bought some textured wrap off eBay and may give that a go (link below), I need to make a decision here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-x-1-5m-Textured-Matte-Black-Vinyl-Wrap-Cars-Adhesive-Decal-Film-Bubble-Free-/141593071344?hash=item20f79acef0