Braided Brake Lines Route

cs2000

Hey all,

Well, after this whole load of balls http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/101042-hel-braided-brake-lines-failure/ I finally got the car back tonight :D

Paid the garage over the phone and collected at 8PM due to work commitments. On the way back I noticed a clattering noise from the wheel area, still cant figure that one out, but I noticed what looked like some abrasion on the outer coating of the braided brake lines. Upon further inspection;

When the wheels are on full left lock, the nearside hose rubs against the inner side of the wheel, but when it is on full right lock its stretched tight, leaving me no room for adjustment

Offside tube doesn't seem to have the same issue, but its very close.

Does anyone have any picture of their braided lined being fitted/fitted so I can see a "tried and tested" route? I could take it back to the garage, but the times I work, combined with the times they open kinda don't allow that :( Plus they did me a favour getting me out of the mess I was in before so don't want to complain too much.

I'm sure a more sensible routing path would solve the issue, just cant see anything obvious and don't want to mess around with them too much!

Thanks for any replies

It would help to give an informed opinion if you could confirm what brand of braided lines you have fitted.

However, if it is Hel, then best bin them and fit OEM style braided lines.

Yes, it is currently the HEL lines I'm afraid as they were replaced under warranty. I'm looking at replacements. I did order some Stoptech ones, but had to cancel when I realised how much the end bill was going to be. They will hopefully get re-ordered next month but obviously cant drive the car with rubbing brake pipes.

The bill was exacerbated as the fitting between the braided lines and the cars hard line had seized. Despite them trying to free it, the pipe sheared when they tried to undo it so they have to fabricate and for a new hard brake line on the offside.

Edited by cs2000

It would help to give an informed opinion if you could confirm what brand of braided lines you have fitted.

Yes, it is currently the HEL lines I'm afraid as they were replaced under warranty. I'm looking at replacements. I did order some Stoptech ones, but had to cancel when I realised how much the end bill was going to be. They will hopefully get re-ordered next month but obviously cant drive the car with rubbing brake pipes.

SIMPLES: Go back to the garage and ask them to fit the lines properly: :surrender:

Goodridge is the way to go: :#1:

SIMPLES: Go back to the garage and ask them to fit the lines properly: :surrender:

Yeah, I do like the goodridge ones, especially the "Goodridge Phantom G-Stop" version, it was just the cost, on top of the bill I have already which would push it to close to £600 in total. Il get them sorted eventually, just have to run the HEL's for now. The standard braided version goodridge sell isn't too bad at about £130 though.

Lol I know that's the "correct" thing to do, but I was hoping it was something simple that I could just do myself as its a hassle getting it looked at by them due to the opening times.

Edited by cs2000

Lol I know that's the "correct" thing to do, but I was hoping it was something simple that I could just do myself as its a hassle getting it looked at by them due to the opening times.

They probably never used enough P clips.

So a DIY would be the hassle free route.

They probably never used enough P clips.

So a DIY would be the hassle free route.

So, any tips on where I should mount the P clips? They seem to have used 2 on each side?

Do you have a pic of how yours are routed? I done mine recently il try dig out a picture, i chucked my p clips in my tool box, mainly because the hole was the wrong size and it was snagging on the line as per your thread, i ended up using a couple of thick cable ties with enough loop in it for the line to pass through back and forth quite freely, its only temporary for now but have been keeping an eye on it and doesn't seem to have caused any issues or rubbing anywhere

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 1

heres a few photos of how i fitted mine, they don't rub and they have enough slack so there not tight when on full lock.

E4560A75-4460-4AFA-8771-52C4B228648C_zpsa4ov50y8.jpg

E9998D21-DA69-45EB-B4CE-261DEEE8A8FD_zpshazzwpz7.jpg

D933EE42-D273-4A64-BA95-9337B5CCAF9C_zpsteum86nk.jpg

mine is as you looking at the passenger side its from the union P clip to the right hand side of the strut then clipped to the front of the suspension upright then to the caliper.

• Like 2

mine is as you looking at the passenger side its from the union P clip to the right hand side of the strut then clipped to the front of the suspension upright then to the caliper.

Yeah, I suspect m,ine have gone the other way.

Looking at your last photo, they seem to come up the right hand side of that piece of metal and are affixed there. Il take a better look when I can, tomorrow hopefully and see what I can do. Obviously if they need unbolting I'm going to have to call them back and ask if they will re-arrange the fitting. The drive back was only a few miles and the wear is already evident. Not too bad yet but as the lines are brand new, even a small scuff is very visible.

In the mean time, thing il look at getting some of those Goodridge Phantom G-Stop lines.