Renault F1 Guilty of spying, but no punishment... huh???

Nigelp

LINK

Renault found themselves facing a charge of fraudulent conduct, namely being found in unauthorised possession of confidential technical information belonging to McLaren.

Renault have escaped punishment for their role in the spy scandal, being found in unauthorised possession of confidential technical information belonging to McLaren, the Council have decided not to impose any sanctions on the team.

--

McLaren in July were found guilty of being in unauthorised possession of technical information belonging to Ferrari, which led to a sporting record £50million fine, while the team were stripped of all constructors' points for 2007.

Now unless I`m missing something here, Renault were found guilty of the same thing, but had no punishment, yet McLaren had a huge one? and people say the FIA isnt biased against McLaren.???? :wacko:

Nice to know its a level playing field out there. This needs sorting out before next season, it is all starting to get a little tedious.

Seems that there will be a provisionl race result each time with a week of court battles before the official result is announced. Enough is enough.

Whats classed as a discussion though?

is "can you have a look at that and back it up onto the server for me please" classed as a discussion?

They could have easily discussed it in person and not email too, it just doesnt sit right with me.. maybe they'll have a good excuse. lets wait and see.

So even though they broke the rules, used the information to test some components, because the components wernt successfull they haven't punished them? huh?:wacko::headhurt:

Renault only told the FIA and Mclaren because they knew they had been found out....! Also looks they they did have a discussion over the information too.

Just like the Mclaren got punished because of something there employee/s did so should Renault in my eyes.

As i said before, anyone who breaks the rules should be punished.

So even though they broke the rules, used the information to test some components, because the components wernt successfull they haven't punished them? huh?:wacko::headhurt:

Not the way I read it. Renault tried to understand the J-damper with the intention of getting it banned but in the end they got it wrong. Although they were unsuccessful they still didn't try to implement the same device in their car.

The file named 21apsec.tiff is the clincher here. McLaren say it shows the principal dimensions of the 2007 car. This information would be very important to any team in designing the following years car. In this case it couldn't be proven if anyone in Renault was even aware of its existance within their system.

Think back to July when McLaren were first found guilty. Same story. Data was found to be at McLaren but no real evidence of its use or benefit. Then Alonso's and Pedro's emails came to light showing them discussing Ferrari data and receiving live Ferrari data through a Mclaren engineer.

This case could reappear if new evidence were available but I doubt it. At the end of the document it says "The WMSC notes that Renault and McLaren have committed to work together to agree a solution that will ensure that all copies of Renault IT back-up tapes that may contain the McLaren confidential information will be put out of reach of Renault and only released to Renault in the event that they are needed for technical IT reasons."

Not the way I read it. Renault tried to understand the J-damper with the intention of getting it banned but in the end they got it wrong. Although they were unsuccessful they still didn't try to implement the same device in their car.

Possibly, but was that their intention?

Maybe they didnt implement it in there car because they found they had a better design. that would still be benefitial in itself.

Thing is they broke rule 151c and they are still not going to get punished... i dont get what rules are for.

It stinks. Ecclestone and Briatore are partners owning QPR and good friends, Ghosen has made it clear he doesn't support Renaults F1 program and GP2. All these factors have clearly affected the decision.

Ecclestone and Mosely should be sacked. It's a disgrace... :boxing:

Mosely quote "It completely detracts from what we are supposed to be doing in the sport, but on the other hand we cannot allow people to - to put it crudely - cheat."

he's right, but yet they didnt punish renault for breaking rules and they are taking Brundle and the sunday times to court for his written views...:dry:

Even though they punished Mclaren for what they could potentially do.. :blush:

Part of Brundle's comments towards the renault incident:

"It was deemed that, as with McLaren, it could not be proven Renault benefited from it. Surprisingly, although the case is left open if further information surfaces, unlike McLaren, the Renault team will not be investigated with regard to their 2008 car.

"Why would that be? I accept there was an element of 'live' transfer of unpublished information over three months between Stepney of Ferrari and Coughlan of McLaren, but it seems the actual proof of information within the Renault team was significantly more damning.

"This issue badly needs clearing up, but the Renault verdict muddies the water."