andy10v's Grey 350z

andy10v

A thread for my 350z, not going to be the most exciting thread at the moment but we will see what happens. Bought to be a fun and reliable car, also my first RWD car, so a severe lack of traction coming from quattro.

2004 350z GT, grey, 120k, I bought it last month.

2cgkgmr.jpg

I picked up a spare set of wheels for track, used MPSS tyres on the track wheels and new MPSS for the road wheels

x3lp4.jpg

Brake pad time

301it6h.jpg

Old pads

34qoje0.jpg

New pads

2h36as4.jpg

Oil and filter for trackday

nw0ncg.jpg

f1hd05.jpg

Took the car to Knockhill for the first time today, thoroughly enjoyable, totally different to my last car to drive. You can lean on the front much more when turning in without it washing out, but much less traction on corner exit (and much less power). Revealed a distinct lack of experience/talent on my behalf with a brief off road excursion :lol: Brakes were fine, but I did not push my luck, only doing 7 laps at a time, that was enough to get the front pads smoking.

I cant sit in the car properly with a helmet, i have to slouch right down so my knees are up and arms out, not a great driving position. So seats will come out and I will make or buy subframes to fit Recaro Speeds. Are they any good UK low subframes? I have seen that people have had to cut and weld some of the off the shelf ones to get them low enough.

Current planned mod list is

Seats!

Plenum spacer

Decats or HFCs

Uprev

Considering

Port lower plenum (£30 on ebay for a spare to experiment on)

Stock airbox with 06 radiused velocity stack (current intake sounds nice though (but probably not the best))

Headers, probably not the best bang for buck but would be nice as a final touch before remapping

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

• Like 2

Looking good!

Try low max seats (they might make sub frames too?) although I initially found the 370z too high but have now totally got used to it- saving me a packet! If you're after room with a helmet I guess lower frames are the only way to go though.

I already have Recaro Speed seats so I will try them first, the low max seats look nice, but mega money! I am 6'1" and can just fit my hand above my head normally, so need to go down a lot, I suspect I may end up not fitting sliders to keep the stack height as low as possible.

I picked up an OEM airbox setup cheap from ebay as an intake option

2hofbzs.jpg

It wont sound as good, but would suck less hot air, and filter much better.

I do think the current intake could be improved by being brought forward, and boxed in, but the factory already did that rather well.

nloj6p.jpg

wcjzid.jpg

I suspect I might miss the noise though :blush:

Cheers mate.

I am still looking around and learning what all the options are as this is all new to me, so dont want to rush, and then wish I had gone down a different route.

Plus projects are never finished, they are just an endless downward spiral of scope creep to bankruptcy :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got the car in the garage.

Removed the standard seat

vxc3dz.jpg

Tried a Recaro speed

2epu7pj.jpg

Mocked up rails, the raised rear mount against the tunnel is 2" up from the floor so really pushes the seat up

nzroll.jpg

So currently thinking of moving the seat outboard which lets it drop down

2hhd2fq.jpg

Which of the plugs is for the seat airbag?

2na8fog.jpg

Boot divider

2zftz7a.jpg

219pbwp.jpg

And a boring mods, picked up a Nissan bluetooth thing, and a boot net.

2lselv9.jpg

24uvubm.jpg

Next try

muixvn.jpg

However that pushes the seat too far out

2ntwcxe.jpg

Seat hard against that raised inner mount

6s70ic.jpg

So have given up in disgust for now, with narrower fixed back seats I think you could get away with it, but I dont like my shoulder being jammed into the door.

And I dont want the seat to sit on top of the oem mount :angry:

Cheers guys.

Cone filter is still fitted, I will fit the OEM airbox then the velocity stack group buy is done.

Final rail height, front cross bar will be same as rear, need to trim, weld it up and box/gusset then paint. Will find out if I can do 5mm on 13A plug shortly.

dxn6dv.jpg

Seat height for track/helmet is sorted by removing the base cushion, actually still quite comfy, and the sides are more supportive. Might try a thin bit of foam with black cloth over it as well.

28miru0.jpg

However the 350 is about to get turfed out the garage to sort a mates S14; turbo back exhaust, FMIC, fuel pump, short shifter and discs/pads.

• 2 weeks later...

nice seat haha

Not pretty but its comfier than stock and will let me drive on track without slouching. Plus as I had the seats its only cost me £8 for flat bar as an experiment, once I have used them for a bit I can get them in black leather if I want an OEM+ look

recaro_speed_sport_racing_seat_black_leather_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Mishimoto thermostatic oil cooler kit

2d15ll.jpg

Mounted, hoses are a bit long :wacko:

34xf090.jpg

They are AN hoses, so once I have got some proper clips I can cut them down and route them something like this, I will need to make stand offs for the wiring loom.

35a3yo6.jpg

Also picked up a spare rear diff to fit a Quaife to

erlfub.jpg

And new diff bushes at the same time, currently thinking Whiteline unless anybody has any suggestions?

i563hc.jpg

Is that pic of the bush on the car or the second hand diff? As it's pretty knackered! As these cars have so much torque they do seem to knacker the diff bushes.

White line are meant to be ok on a budget- do spl do them? They're a better brand for most of the other bush bits. Diff sounds fun!

Is that pic of the bush on the car or the second hand diff? As it's pretty knackered! As these cars have so much torque they do seem to knacker the diff bushes.

White line are meant to be ok on a budget- do spl do them? They're a better brand for most of the other bush bits. Diff sounds fun!

Picture is of the rear diff bush that is pressed into the subframe on the car.

SPL do solid alloy ones, but I would prefer rubber or poly.

Diff should be great once its in, I swapped a Torsen from a V8 into my S2 and I liked it.

Put the front end back together last night, topped up the oil, ran it up to temp with no leaks.

MOT passed today with no advisories!

Power steering cooler arrived today so the bumper will be coming back off to fit that.

I think the car deserves a pair of decats for passing its MOT :lol:

• Like 1