Counter weight in the boot

Juggalo

Hellooo!

I've just stripped the boot out of everything cosmetic, including the tyre. On the right side of the boot area there's a counter balance type thing that rocks left and right, bit like a pendulum.

On the left side there's a Bose thingymejig, I have no idea what that is. Is the one on the right to counter balance the thing on the left?

What is it?

Can get a pic if need be.

It's a Roadster.

Edited by Juggalo

When you drive the tyres are constantly picking up energy as they roll over the graininess of the road surface. The back wheels will transmit vibration forward and the front wheels will send vibration rearward. So, looking at the vibration from the rear wheels it will take two paths as it travels forward, one through the frame and floor pan and a second path up and over the roof. The frequency of these vibrations is the same, but the longer path over the roof and down the windshield and A pillars will cause the vibration to arrive slightly later. As these two impulses collide they will effectively cancel each other out.

Roadsters and convertibles tend to only send the road vibrations along one path. At certain speeds the combined vibrations from the front and rear will form a harmonic wave that will be felt inside the car. The weights you see are suspended in a flexible medium. Any vibrations in the vicinity also set the weight to vibrating, however the isolation of the weight means that it vibrates slightly out of sync and will also cancel out any harmonics that are building up.

I am continually amazed that people call the smaller similar device inside the coupe hatch a “counter weightâ€. This is not its purpose; it is also a vibration damper to take care of vibrations that build in the hatch.

• Like 4