Parking sensor locations and spacing

Mikevv

Hi guys, I'm fitting my parking sensors this weekend hopefully if the weather holds out, and I had an argument with my dad about it. In my opinion surely you can just find the centre of the bumper, then space them out accordingly? Or split the distance into 4 equal sized chunks to make them all cover the same amount?

He's adamant that Nissan won't fit them lile that from factory and the specs must be online somewhere about exactly where to fit them. While I agree the height is an issue, I figured just look for the most protruding part of the bumper and fit them accordingly or just by eye. If it doesn't look right, for example on the very bottom of the bumper, then I'm going to move them until I'm happy with their position.

Anyways to stop further bloodshed (joking)

Does anyone know of the official Nissan specs?

I tried googling it, but the pictures are mostly crap, and how will I know which are OEM and which are done by people like me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Now let's hope we can agree on what end of the drill to use -.-

Have you consider rear camera? They are pretty cheap and minimum effort to install if you do it like how I did my 2 months ago.

Basically I brought a rear camera (integrated into the rear number plate light casing/holder) from EBay, and a separate 4.3 inch LCD display which I placed in an odd location (which works well for me). Basically I placed it behind my passenger seat, on top of the speaker close to the little triangle window. I kept the video cable so that in future I can wire it to the front double din stereo/display. Wiring up the camera and display are pretty straightforward, took me about 2 hours (taking my time ensuring everything is being done properly). Only downside it the display is a mirror image hence left is right, right is left as the screen is meant to be placed facing the rear of my zed rather than front in my case. But my aim is to aid me when I reverse my zed, ensuring I don't hit anything.

Sorry I don't have the spec you needed. I'm sure someone here has a zed with OEM reverse sensor. However, if you struggle, my colleague who has a zed has OEM reverse sensor (4 sensors I think) I can go take some measurements for you and some pics. B)

Parking sensors (and alarm I think) were U.K dealer fit. So not a factory fit. Something to do with different world regions and requirements I guess. Here's how mine were fitted from new. Doesn't mean every dealer did them the same, but you would think they may have followed a Nissan spec sheet.

th_009%202_zpsifoltwzn.jpg

Have you consider rear camera? They are pretty cheap and minimum effort to install if you do it like how I did my 2 months ago.

Basically I brought a rear camera (integrated into the rear number plate light casing/holder) from EBay, and a separate 4.3 inch LCD display which I placed in an odd location (which works well for me). Basically I placed it behind my passenger seat, on top of the speaker close to the little triangle window. I kept the video cable so that in future I can wire it to the front double din stereo/display. Wiring up the camera and display are pretty straightforward, took me about 2 hours (taking my time ensuring everything is being done properly). Only downside it the display is a mirror image hence left is right, right is left as the screen is meant to be placed facing the rear of my zed rather than front in my case. But my aim is to aid me when I reverse my zed, ensuring I don't hit anything.

Sorry I don't have the spec you needed. I'm sure someone here has a zed with OEM reverse sensor. However, if you struggle, my colleague who has a zed has OEM reverse sensor (4 sensors I think) I can go take some measurements for you and some pics. B)

I considered a cam, but only once I got an aftermarket unit fitted in place of the Bose, but for now I've decided to keep the Bose as it still works well and I like the steering wheel controls :D

If it wouldn't be too much to ask , would you mind posting the pics up here for me? Just so I have a point of reference that I can double check with and plan accordingly.

Parking sensors (and alarm I think) were U.K dealer fit. So not a factory fit. Something to do with different world regions and requirements I guess. Here's how mine were fitted from new. Doesn't mean every dealer did them the same, but you would think they may have followed a Nissan spec sheet.

th_009%202_zpsifoltwzn.jpg

See I tried explaining this in a round about way, probably didn't make sense to him , or I didn't explain it well enough. But nice to see I wasn't totally wrong hahaha

Your sensors seem pretty much where I was gonna put em, so again, reassuring I'm not a total spanner.

Is it me, or are your middle 2 a bit higher? Can I ask if there was any reasoning to this?

Hi guys, I'm fitting my parking sensors this weekend hopefully if the weather holds out, and I had an argument with my dad about it. In my opinion surely you can just find the centre of the bumper, then space them out accordingly? Or split the distance into 4 equal sized chunks to make them all cover the same amount?

He's adamant that Nissan won't fit them lile that from factory and the specs must be online somewhere about exactly where to fit them. While I agree the height is an issue, I figured just look for the most protruding part of the bumper and fit them accordingly or just by eye. If it doesn't look right, for example on the very bottom of the bumper, then I'm going to move them until I'm happy with their position.

I tried googling it, but the pictures are mostly crap, and how will I know which are OEM and which are done by people like me?

A drill you say? :wacko:;)

i had mine fitted by a local sparks can send a photo of the back end if it helps ?

Yeah sure, If I can plaster this thread with different pics that might help both me and other users to get a rough idea of how we can work it.

The old man seems worried about what's behind the bumper for when we drill holes, surely this won't be an issue?

Yes the middle two are higher. As I said, that's how it came new, so I don't know why. Looking at it I would guess it's just aesthetics, and of course you need to be aware if any other positioning would foul on the crash beam or anything else behind the bumper.

• Like 1

A drill you say? :wacko:;)

The pack I got with the Dolphin kit contained a drill, hard to explain without pics. It's basically like a normal drill surrounded by a circle cutter sort of thing? Just to make the 20mm hole for the sensor to fit in the bumper?

Not sure if I'm making sense, I'm super tired lol

It looks like this http://images.shopmadeinchina.com/p/339/4774339/Only-Parktronic-Parking-Sensor-Radar-Kit-Drill-DC_4774339.bak.jpg

Mate, I was taking the proverbial, sorry. WHat you have is a hole cutter, the drill in the middle acts as a pilot for the larger diameter serated hole cutter. All I can say is measure everything twice, take your time and it'll be fine.

Mate, I was taking the proverbial, sorry. WHat you have is a hole cutter, the drill in the middle acts as a pilot for the larger diameter serated hole cutter. All I can say is measure everything twice, take your time and it'll be fine.

Yeah I realise that now, sorry haha

Well you know what they say, measure twice, cut once! I'm going to triple check these, cause 20 minutes is a lot cheaper than a new bumper ( worst case scenario )

• Like 1

Ultimately the choice is yours, put them where you like, assuming they fit okay.

You are aware the pictures are of two different bumpers though? Mudman's is an import bumper, so they couldn't go in the same spot as a U.K anyway...

Ultimately the choice is yours, put them where you like, assuming they fit okay.

You are aware the pictures are of two different bumpers though? Mudman's is an import bumper, so they couldn't go in the same spot as a U.K anyway...

The only thing I worry about is drilling through/into something important. Going to have to jack it up and have a good look underneath.

Yeah I know it's an import :)

There's not much behind there you can damage. The crash beam, as we said, and the wiring for the indicators etc. But you're going to have to take it off to run your wires anyway aren't you?

You can see down behind it if you take out one of the tail lights, that's how you gain access to change indicator/fog/reverse bulbs. You'll be able to see the beam and the back of the indicator clusters, there's loads of space down there really!

You won't be able to see where the sensors go from underneath, the bar will be in the way.

Edited by Watshot

There's not much behind there you can damage. The crash beam, as we said, and the wiring for the indicators etc. But you're going to have to take it off to run your wires anyway aren't you?

You can see down behind it if you take out one of the tail lights, that's how you gain access to change indicator/fog/reverse bulbs. You'll be able to see the beam and the back of the indicator clusters, there's loads of space down there really!

You won't be able to see where the sensors go from underneath, the bar will be in the way.

I figured I'd just do as you suggested, take off the lights and peek through :D It's mainly just to make sure I don't break stuff or get in the way. doubt they'll need any space really.. My dads done 2 sets of these before without taking the bumper off and they worked flawlessly. The current one we've had for 4 years and not skipped a beat. I think we just wired it in any way that worked and wasn't in the way, cosmetics weren't an issue as IIRC the whole lot was hidden under carpets etc. in the boot

And TBH I just want to find the bar so I know where to avoid :p

Like others have said, I'm sure I'll be fine, just nervous as this is the nicest car I've owned and I don't want to hurt it just yet :p

Thanks for the idea to take the lights out though!

Interestingly (or not...) I had Steelmate sensors fitted to mine by local Auto/Radio shop and the two inner sensors are just about where they appear on the picture in that instruction sheet but the two outer ones are above the reversing/fog light clusters.

When I asked why - the techie said the crash bar was too close to the bumper to fit them lower. But he could have been yanking my chain! I would have preferred (from an OCD perspective) to have them in a single line but it isn't something you look at often!

David