Jump to content

flyboy

Members
  • Posts

    1,540
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by flyboy

  1. Supposed to have come from Taiwan but has PRC stamped all over it. Work that one out! Have the cultural differences been put aside for mail purposes
  2. The S2K Stubby from London Badges from Taiwan Caps from USA E Bay, Great Eh!! What did we do before??
  3. Stubby - Unscrew and screw on ! Oil and Rad Caps - Unscrew and screw on then fit stickers Badges - Pull off old ones, clean paint, and stick on???? 10 mins max I should think Or do you know something I dont. Will take longer than 10 minutes to fit the badges My brother "out-of-law" is a rocket scientist and he says even that is not Rocket Science Might take more than 10 mins to get the old sticky off but really how hard can it be, I think more people should have a go at the simple stuff in life it gets easier the more you do! It poses no problems for me as I will happily take anything apart. Success in putting stuff back together is always inversely proportional to the amount of bits you have left over. In this case I should have 5 bits left at the end otherwise something somewhere has gone wrong. I just hope I have the right 5 bits left over.
  4. Stubby - Unscrew and screw on ! Oil and Rad Caps - Unscrew and screw on then fit stickers Badges - Pull off old ones, clean paint, and stick on???? 10 mins max I should think Or do you know something I dont.
  5. Mine have arrived. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=44961 Oil cap Is great. Fantastic CNC machined quality. Hope it fits TBH Radiator cap is a bit tinny will compare it to mine tomorrow, may just use the badge for the top of the original and stick this in the tool box as an emergency spare, Will report more when fitted.
  6. Look Up!!!!!!
  7. Should look good fitted. Diddn't want to bend the stubby to make it smile
  8. I opened them and found these? Close but no cigar. Do the post service save things up these days to deliver them all together. Parcel from London posted on 22nd Dec. USA 7th Jan. PRC ( Taiwan ) 13th Jan. All arrived within Hours. Good old Post Office, Blame the Snow.
  9. As long as he's not opening these He can be in whatever universe
  10. Got home today and have 3 new parcels. Small mods but I like them. [Attachment.jpeg] 1 from USA, 1 from PRC, and 1 from E17 Roll on Saturday for fitting.
  11. Thickness of plenum spacer I had cut yesterday was 6mm as we had no 8mm plate. Normally 5/16" (=7.9mm) or 1/2" with modified strut brace. Strut brace spacers cut at 6mm also but may have to use trial and error to get this right. Nylon spacers are thicker as they cup onto the plenum itself in the centre but will be machined to suit a 6mm rise at the moment. I may also cut my own 0.4mm metal gasket to seal the plenum outer edge The whole thing is still a work in progress and needs proving by fitting.
  12. I have done a bit of work on the scanned drawing, widened it a bit, and increased the size of the holes to a 7mm clearance on M6 bolts, put a bit more meat around the edges etc. I got the gasket cut last night but still had no 8mm material. We had 6mm on the laser so just slipped it in with that. I will check out the fit make sure there are no modifications to the cutting needed and may make an 8mm one when we have material in. 2mm doesn't sound much but its 25% down on the 8mm. I have cut 6mm spacers for the strut brace and am having 6mm nylon spacers machined for the middle bit. Bolts are ordered 5mm longer than stock which I will pick up later. Finished product. If it all fits ok I may get a quote off my company to cut a few or if not I will be able to PM the drawing file in DXF if someone wants it.... For personal use!!!
  13. flyboy

    custom grill

  14. Not for the spacer itself you dont, although I will need to find some way to seal the centre 6 bolts to stop them sucking air. Normally done with nylon spacers.
  15. See previous post for start. Software writing drawing file. Drawing ready for export to Autocad. This now needs downloading to the laser software which will write the code to cut it with a few mouse clicks. Should have a plenum spacer by this time next week.
  16. Mission Success Took the gasket off Sat morning. Only took the outside bit off by cutting the gasket in 2 places where it bridges to the inside bit. This wont matter as the bridge dosnt seal anything. Scored it with a knife and it broke clean on the score mark with a couple of flexes. Took it to the scanner and did the reverse engineering bit. I now have an Autocad drawing of the gasket which I can laser cut from Aluminium. I will get this done at some point during the week and will post photos of it being cut. (You can go here http://www.virtek.ca/products_inspection_LaserQC.asp and click on the reverse engineering link in videos if you are interested how the scanner thing works.) Photos below of the process. Gasket ready for scanning. Scanner Head Gasket being scanned See next post for more.
  17. Hi Taddy, As I said earlier on the phone, checked with my insurance and they want an extra £200 for covering the car if these are fitted. This puts it out of my price bracket. Sorry mate, but put them back up for sale, I am suer someone will take them soon as thats a great price.
  18. flyboy

    custom grill

    No its a pic I picked up from usa west coast mods when looking for different grill ideas. Its quite clever as from a distance it looks like a big zed in the center but closer in its a small z in the centre with 2 rectangular cutouts top and bottom of the z which easily blend in. Tend to change avitars quite often when something catches my eye or is in the making.
  19. flyboy

    custom grill

    Thats why I asked not sure myself. Might get rid of the central z affair and then could be a bit more subtle. Wouldnt then see it was zds untill close up. Will mock it up and re post
  20. flyboy

    custom grill

    Thinking of cutting one of these from polished stainless steel. What do you guys think or
  21. Yup, Ill take those at £150. Will collect at the weekend if thats ok. Simon, As we spoke this morning my insurance wants £200 more if I fit these so unfortunately on reflection cant buy them.
  22. Just talking to a mate today about our last cars. Thought I would ask people here to list there last 5 cars. Mine to start it off 350z coupe sunset Chrysler crossfire blaze red 200sx s13 candy red BMW 325i coupe Manta gte coupe red Seems to be a theme there all rear wheel drive jap or german all red or redish Normally keep cars for 4-5 or so years so this goes back to about 1995 What have you had over the last 10-15 years
  23. Well, as the snow has gone and I'm back to work I will try to get my gasket off on Sat morning and get it scanned. Can't scan the top of the plenum itself as the laser scans from the top with a laser mounted 2 meters above the scanning glass and reads from below as a normal scanner. Ideal for flat objects but not too good on 3D items. I have had a look at the space I need and am quite sure I can fit a 10mm spacer without a problem. 1m x 1m 0.25mm gasket sheet from E-Bay is about £6 to make my own extra gasket which I would prefer to liquid gasket. Spacers for the strut will have to be washers as now I have had a better look I can see the mountings are cranked, and so full plates are impractical even though I have access to a press brake. I have a few ideas about the central spacers. Watch this space for pics.
  24. As you probably know (and will see when you get yours from Scotland), they tighten onto a rubber gasket and there is zero chance of them getting stuck unless they are cross threaded. If you are going to get one of these stuck then you should not be opening your bonnet in the first place, leave it shut and take it to the garage when the red light comes on!. Anyway the spoiler worked and the group buy is off, mine (as I think most people who liked the look of them) are on the way individually. Just not worth the hassle.
  25. And on that note - I'm out. I totaly agree these are not Nismo items just a bit of cheap bling for the engine bay. If you need Nismo items then go and pay £80 a cap. Do not buy these if you are not capable of deciding if the thread is too tight a fit or do not know when a cross thread is about to occur if its too sloppy a fit. IMHO there should not be a problem at all with a mass produced machined billet oil cap,(Just like the generic blue ones JDM sells) but there again I have a degree in engineering and can make my own decisions on things like this. As the quality has been questioned with a tale of woe attached, I have ordered a single set for myself and will report back when I have tried them. Obviously once I have a set there will be no incentive for me to organise a group buy, but I am sure someone else may take this up once a couple of people on the forum have tried them out. I will Pm those who expressed intrest to let them know its off for now.
×
×
  • Create New...