One thing to remember here is that ron is not an indication of fuel knock resistance, and I suspect that supermarket 95 ron would have a much lower knock resistance rating than say Shell 95 ron, I was never advocating running what is after all supposed to be a sports/performance rated engine full time, but I really cant see 97 ron being any problem, however I still find it unbelievable that what is supposed to be a modern engine/ECU cannot deal with lower ron/knock rated fuel without braking ring lands through det, poor design IMO.
I too have spoken to Mark and I do believe he mentioned that particular engine, and may have mentioned the non det monitor after 5K RPM but I really cant remember his explanation about why, I'm sure something like that would stick in my mind, but its was about three years ago now.
I think it was the DE fragility compared with older motors that stopped me going any further with tuning it, but then I guess you hear horror stories about most motors/cars if you look hard enough.