Really bad missfire on idle

team stevedave

Hi guys. So I have a vortech charged 04 zed with 57k.

Just today I was out in the car and gave it a bit push on a short duel carrigeway, when approaching the roundabout I heard a whine from the engine coming down with the revs, dropped a gear and done the same.

When I then stopped at the next roundabout the idle became very rough, a missfire I expect. Occasionally over reving to stop it cutting out.

Now after limping home I let the car cool and started again, idle is still incredibly lumpy with a really bad missfire.

Slowly bringing the revs up still misfiring at 2500k, but with normal reving seems fine.

After letting the revs drop. I glanced at my gauges fuel pressure is altering from 3.5 - 6 which is normal when under load but not idle, and air fuel ratio was sitting very lean at 16.5-1 and would drop going up the revs.

It should be noted I already have a code for sensor 2 bank 2 lambda, which has always been there on ownership and never caused a problem. Usually sitting at 14.6 - 14.8 a/f on average driving and around that on idle.

So as you can imagine I'm a little sad my pride and joy is sick and would love some thoughts from you guys to help me on my way through fault finding.

Also Iv pulled a couple coil plugs out while running to try hear for a change but seems to make no difference!??

My work has an ethos I will be plugging into to check for any new codes on Monday, which I'm guessing may return with a P0300 random missfire.

Any help would be hugely appreciated guys. And I sincerely apologise for the essay.

David

Edited by team stevedave

It does sound like your running lean, causing the missfire. As you said, should be idling at around 14.7. If it was a plug or coil pack it would normally run rich.

Any smoke ?

Have you got an OBD2 reader? on your phone or anything? Can be invaluable for fault finding looking at fuel trims etc.

What bank is your AFR gauge plumbed into?

What fuel system and injectors do you have?

Could also be a vacuum/boost leak so carefully check all your pipework for cracks, leaks, tight fittings.

Have a read through my thread here from when I was diagnosing a missfire on my supercharged Zed. Should help a lot.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/78240-running-lumpy-no-eml-all-sorted/page__hl__lumpy

Cheers for the reply.

I have a snap-on ethos code reader at my work I can plug into. After a good inspection there is a part of gasket blown out bout 10mm at the front of the kinetix plenum, but doesn't look that fresh tbh, I'm hoping this may be the cause. I believe kinetix gaskets can be hard to source tho. Maybe just try gasket sealer for now.

As for smoke I haven't noticed anything but my girl says she noticed some when passing her work. But let's not take that too seriously (females)

And I'm actually unsure on fueling I'm afraid. I'm actually hoping to find out from previous owners on this forum as iv been told its been around on here before.

If you find this is gasket related, I can get one made for you, or at least get you some contact details to have one specially made of you cannot source one for love nor money.

You would need to send them your Kinetix and they would scan the dimensions needed. As its a one off it won't be cheap, but I could probably chat with them to at least accommodate the emergency needs and they may reduce their costs.

Just put my thumb over the leak and it idles fine. Thank God for that!

Thanks to everyone that replied to help me through.

Would you recommend replacing the gasket or use sealer. Or both?

Replace the gasket with an OEM should be no need for anything else :thumbs:

Sealant will only be a temp fix but you will probably blow it out again due to boost :)

I need to find my full spec on this car as I was inadequately informed when I bought her. Was told it just needs uprated fuel rail and injectors to reach 400bhp supposedly running 350 just now, but no dyno which I rekon should be on the cards.

Do u think it's sensible/reliable to push for that?

I love the reliability of her ( he says with a blown gasket. >_>