Simpleton trying to upgrade to android Head unit

scobie140

My bose has given up working on the left side speakers when playing CD's I've already stripped down and re crimped the ribbon a few years back and worked a treat until recently so time for an upgrade. I'm total useless when it comes to electrics and audio so there will be a lot of stupid and basic questions asked attempting this. Its a 04 GT car if that makes any difference

I want a set up that I can use for

Music(CD's, blue tooth, wifi?)

Sat nav

Reversing camera

I'd like to keep use of the steering controls

had a look around and http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/96546-bose-system-installing-android-hu-and-problems-i-faced-and-how-to-overcome-them/ is pretty much what i'm after, although being honest I'm struggling to follow the set up of it and the buster hack as to me its just a mass of wires and plugs :wacko:

List of stuff I think I need

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361068379441?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://caraudiosecurity.com/29-674-nissan-350z-bose-steering-control-interface-adaptor

http://caraudiosecurity.com/ct24ns19-nissan-350z-2003-double-din-fascia-adaptor-kit

Will this work with this system? does it even fit the zed?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Night-Vision-Parking-Car-Rear-View-Reversing-CMOS-Camera-Wide-Angle-/181511735426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a42f14882

Do I need anything else? or is there a similar priced unit that is better?

Ahh much better design, will order this one instead.

Unless its plug and play with wiring I struggle :lol:

Going to order it all tomorrow so it should be delivered in time for me getting home, so hopefully will be all the right stuff

Just realised that one is from Hong Kong so will take an age to get here, will have to fit it afterwards when ever it arrives.

Edited by scobie140
  • Like 1

You have to pay import tax on the head unit, but it's only about £20. I think the reversing cam is exempt. The actual fitting job isn't too bad, I'm a complete klutz but I'd give most things a go and if you take your time, read all the guides and be methodical then you will be fine. :)

It's much easier than you think, where abouts are you based ? Maybe somebody with some knowledge locally could help out. Busters hack is simple and effective but it is hard to explain so sound complicated

You have to pay import tax on the head unit, but it's only about £20. I think the reversing cam is exempt. The actual fitting job isn't too bad, I'm a complete klutz but I'd give most things a go and if you take your time, read all the guides and be methodical then you will be fine. :)

Ahh seen an identical one for a fiver more once import tax is added coming from England somewhere so will try and cancel the order and buy the one already in the UK, will make any issues with returns etc easier for the sake of a fiver. Just daunting looking at pics seeing 100s of wires and needing to cut and solder the correct ones, don't want to cut the wrong one lol.

It's much easier than you think, where abouts are you based ? Maybe somebody with some knowledge locally could help out. Busters hack is simple and effective but it is hard to explain so sound complicated

Based in Falkirk, Yeh bamboozled me but if I can get clear pics ill just blindly cut and solder as per pics and not worrie about trying to understand what I'm cutting and soldering if that makes sense.

0a279843d8dd7170980b450ba9f044cc.jpg cut these off

Leaves you with this

98afa904df35447d1c8757a9fd64fe16.jpg 'tin' the ends with soldering iron.

Then cut the wires from back of this plug that are not used. Should be green, green/black, purple, purple/black, white, white/black, grey, grey/black.

c13bd9f9ba9eb117c7d0ad7befd404b2.jpg

Leaves you with this

9febf7b7abb3127678c2af3f2e1a1fe0.jpg

Then simply solder the wires from the firat photo to the wires in the 3rd photo.

The bare wires in the first photo are cabled with solid colours. These bare wires are the same as the colour/black wires in the third photo.

So;

Solid green to solid green

Bare wire (next to solid green) to green/black

Solid purple to solid purple

Bare wire (next to purple) to purple black.

And so on and so forth.

That's busters hack as simple as it gets really.

Hope this helps.

Edited by newkid
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Buster mod done, but still not got round to fitting the system, hopefully will get time before the weekend. Reverse camera arrived. Few questions about fitting this.

f9d71a55692ab47877c270906a4210b6.jpg

What are the short red wires on the yellow connectors for? Red connector should just be spliced into reverse light and earth? And ill need to run a wire from the reverse light into the reverse wire in the wiring loom for the HU so the HU knows when to switch to camera?

Is the head unit working? My fitting and cam install was actually pretty straightforward. Once I'd sussed you need to ground the unit to the car. My cam only works when reverse is engaged and the unit it on AUX setting! :)

Unit seems to be working, can get on the Internet from the wifi in the house. Just can't get any sound. I've stripped down and redone the buster mod just to make sure it wasn't that. But still no sound from a cd. Steering wheel controls don't seem be skipping tracks adjusting the volume either.

I thought this was going nice an easy u till I put the power on lol

Haha I'm loosing the will to live here, plugged the old bose back in and speakers are working so it must either be the new HU or the connectors I'm thinking. Atleast if I can get the sound sorted I can worry about the camera later

c91d492947449dfdddf92ec167b302a6.jpg

Success, kind of. Got the sound sorted, amp cable needed spliced into the wiring loom. The reverse camera still isn't working, checked the wiring over and over so hopefully it's just something in the settings needs changed. Gave up for the day. Will play with it tomorrow or next time I'm back on shore and have another bash at the camera, then the internal antenna

That unit looks like a newer version of mine. Try pressing the knob bottom right, then on the touch screen the option with the icon that looks like the plugs at the end of the wires from the cam, then with the engine on stick it in reverse and see if it works :teeth:

That unit looks like a newer version of mine. Try pressing the knob bottom right, then on the touch screen the option with the icon that looks like the plugs at the end of the wires from the cam, then with the engine on stick it in reverse and see if it works :teeth:

Ahh only twiddled that knob so far :lol: I'll have a play with it today. Hopefully its as simple as that :)

If you have no sound I guarantee it's because you haven't wired in the bose amplifier. I had same problem. You must connect the amp up for the sou to work.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk