bose system, installing android HU and problems I faced and how to overcome them

dedward

Hi, so I bought an android HU from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361068379441

I bought the android 4.2.2 version as it is the same hard ware specs as the 4.4.4 and about £30-40 cheaper. I did a simple usb drive update on the unit and it is now running Android kitkat 4.4.4.

Anyway back to topic, as I have the GT spec 350z with the Bose system I had bought the harnesses and adapter from-

Car audio security.

Harness- http://caraudiosecurity.com/29-674-nissan-350z-bose-steering-control-interface-adaptor

Facia- http://caraudiosecurity.com/ct24ns19-nissan-350z-2003-double-din-fascia-adaptor-kit

The problem I had at the beginning when lining up the HU is that the Chinese double din HU's are slightly larger then the standard UK stereos. Therefor the adapter was too small. I had therefore had to get the dremel out to remove about 2mm from the inside edge of the Facia adapter.

The wiring loom was I hoped to be plug and play. However after wiring everything up I found that the stereo was to quiet

quiet. After much searching on this forum I came across Busters method of fixing this problem.

I done this and followed his method and it works perfectly. Thanks Buster for this thread!

So far the stereo is great. Really responsive. I have changed the settings on my phone to automatically switch to wifi hotspot when it detects my stereo. Therefor I have installed spotify on my stereo and have unlimited music to my content!! I have also installed Waze which is a type of social media satnav with live traffic feeds and mobile speed cameras updated by users. It's really handy.

Hope this helps anyone deciding to buy one of these units.

Dale

Edited by dedward
  • Like 2

I've been looking at Android HUs and I think I'm going to go for one recommended by a user here. It's a bit more pricey but looks very nice and the seller is UK based. Does anybody know if a wiring loom ISO adapter is required in addition to the steering control harness? I obviously don't want to be purchasing more than I have to as the ISO loom adapter is around £30 and the steering control harness is £35. Thanks for the info about your issues; hopefully it will help dummies like me when I can get around to it.

No just the harness that I mentioned in my thread is needed.

And a patch lead for the steering controls but they are under a 5er

If you could link me to a steering control adapter I'd be grateful. I've looked at different places and they all seem to come up at the £35 range. An eBay seller is getting me a combined price for the Bose adapter and patch lead, but I can't imagine they'd sell the latter for £5.

Depends on what stereo you have. I didn't need one on mine as it comes with 2 additional leads on the stereo loom called key1 and key 2. They just need connecting to the adapter.

It's the Bose 6 CD. From what I can tell I NEED the adapter that costs a silly amount from everywhere. I've only just gotten the car so I'm not into gutting the whole stereo system yet.

Can you link to Busters fix in the first post ? (this is something I'll do later in the year, handy to know!)

http://www.350z-uk.c...lacing-oe-bose/

I bookmarked it myself, just in case.

The eBay seller got back to me and wants £60 for a kit that works with the Bose system and steering controls. That doesn't seem right so I think I'll order the £35 harness and buy more if required.

Is the antenna adapter still required on later models with the Bose system?

Edited by RavenDW
  • Like 1

A guy I work with uses Waze; stuff like that along with the customisation options (see: all of the apps ever) is why I really wanted an Android HU. Time permitting I'm going to start pulling the centre console apart and fitting it early Friday afternoon (as well as repainting some of the interior panels). I jut hop I can find places to put all the wires.

yeah i could do with a bit of painting as fitting the unit was a pain due to the dodgy Chinese HU sizes. wires was no issue however as it seemed to be plenty of room. i also drilled 2 lottole holes on the rubber mat within area a sat nav is placed, i got all my ipod and usb cables coming up from them,

I think this is worth asking here: where do people have their various cables coming out of? Like aux in and USB cables. I was thinking of having them come out in the passenger foot well or even into the change draw (or pop-out drinks holder if yours has it).

Photos of ay of these mods would be appreciated.

I think the best place is to have them come up into the cubby maybe you could bin the standard aux and replace with a nice male to female cable that's short so that only a little bit pokes into the cubby. That way if your not using it its not too unsightly same for any USB cables etc

I think the best place is to have them come up into the cubby maybe you could bin the standard aux and replace with a nice male to female cable that's short so that only a little bit pokes into the cubby. That way if your not using it its not too unsightly same for any USB cables etc

I'm not sure if this is standard for an '07 GT, but mine doesn't have a cubby; the sat nav just sits there (there's no door to it). I'd have to remove the satnav and make/buy a new cubby to fit there. That's a future project, I think.

Edited by RavenDW

I'm not sure if this is standard for an '07 GT, but mine doesn't have a cubby; the sat nav just sits there (there's no door to it). I'd have to remove the satnav and make/buy a new cubby to fit there. That's a future project, I think.

Ah! I don't have SatNAV in mine, They must not have had that option!

• 1 month later...