Jetwashers

Drexyl

Do you think that its okay to use these (from a safe distance) to wash off light road grime? I was driving through country lanes today and picked up a fair amount of road spray which has made it look grubby. As it's just had a full valet I don't want to give it a full on wash just yet, so wondered if this would be okay?

If its got some larger chunks of mud/grime attached I would use a gentle hose first to ensure the jet doesnt push any grit into and along the paint leaving you with some added extra go faster stripes.

I personaly use my jetwash from a distance, but only for either rinsing, or put it on the no power setting so it just acts as a hose.

Im no detailing guru though, and Im sure there will be many of the two bucket system users that can offer advice. :thumbs:

I've been using a pressure washer for years. I always blast the dirt off first before washing with a flash washer thingy with a sheepskin mit. By blasting first you get the large bits of grit off the car, which measn when you do wash it down you don't rub these in and scratch the car.

In all the years I've used on I've never had a problem. You have to be careful if you have stickers and stripes as it can blow these off but I've never done any harm. Great for alloy wheels too.. :thumbs:

Personally I couldn't do without one, having an household of women with cars, (daughter and wife that is)... ;)

Nice one, thanks lads :) I've used pressure washers before on other cars/bikes, after reading many of the posts here, I had doubts. The car's not filthy, or loaded down with big lumps of muck. It's just that after following the odd transit on wet moorland roads it got cover in the spray that got thrown up, which then dried and it just looks, well grubby.

I'll give it a go. Gently :blush:

Nice one, thanks lads :) I've used pressure washers before on other cars/bikes, after reading many of the posts here, I had doubts. The car's not filthy, or loaded down with big lumps of muck. It's just that after following the odd transit on wet moorland roads it got cover in the spray that got thrown up, which then dried and it just looks, well grubby.

I'll give it a go. Gently :blush:

The thing with using a water blaster is to be careful, especially if it's a higher psi one, say 1600 or 2000psi especially. It depends also what type of head is fitted. The ideal is one that disperses the water in a slightly less shot fashion.

• 2 weeks later...

Chesterfield pretty much hit it on the head. A pressure washer can help but not too close up. If you are blasting high pressure water at muck, you are doing the same to the paint. And if you put your hand in front of a pressure washer nozzle and can't hold it there (ie stronger than your arm) would you want to press your paint that hard?

Great in wheel arches etc. and can be used on paint. Personally I use a hose attachment to gain a bit of extra pressure. Otherwise, two buckets, a few water changes and patience would be my way forward. :)

I don't disagree. It depends also what head you have on the water blaster. There are plenty that have a wide head, and if used carefully at a distance are fine.

I use 2 bucket system as well, but the microfibre cleaning mit only the first time goes into the water after that I use the pouring spout to wet the mit. I have rigged up a clip on thing on the outside of bucket, so no more yukky dirty water going back into bucket/s.