Steel bolt snapped in aluminium.

RobPhoboS

I managed to break this bolt last year when I was trying to un-do it.

Half a turn and it broke :rant:

(so this is why I use Plusgas and the impact wrench when possible - as well as using the correct torque specs now)

IMAG0680_zpsnqklwwto.jpg

IMAG0681_zpsqi5sfagj.jpg

Of course I don't want to be messing around with this, to end up making it worse. Any thoughts as to what I could try ? (yes it needs a clean :teeth:)

(hopefully the guy that is taking a look at my crushed brake pipe flare will be able to help)

Drill and tap it, or drill a pilot hole and try an easy out after sticking some heat on it, if you have a welder try and weld a new nut/bolt to it.

Ditch the impact gun if you have a fear of shearing bolts, you can always feel by hand when a bolt is going to shear so know when to back off and try something else

Cheers for the tips, it was done by hand, not with the impact ! :lol:

I prefer the impact due to the nature of what it's doing, sure for tightening I may start a long threaded bolt with it but always finish using the torque wrench.

I do have one of those 'easy out' extractor kits which I've used with success before, of course I just don't want to f-up the aluminium :lol:

Dude, if you fit braided lines, that bracket comes off anyway! wouldnt worry about .

It has braided lines mate (Hosetechnik) :thumbs:

It's just one of those jobs I've not gotten around to sorting out, so thought I'd check in first.

Dude, if you fit braided lines, that bracket comes off anyway! wouldnt worry about .

It has braided lines mate (Hosetechnik) :thumbs:

It's just one of those jobs I've not gotten around to sorting out, so thought I'd check in first.

Useless. lol