ABS, ESP and Slip lights

garak112

This problem is driving me crazy.

I was on a drive to see the in laws a couple of months back and these lights all lit up together when on the motorway. I stopped the car at services and when I restarted it the lights were gone. A quick search of the forum revealed problems with the brake sensor so I cleaned the contacts and thought no more of it.

100 miles (several weeks for me) later and the lights all reappeared when I was approaching a junction. I decided to replace the brake pedal sensor (only £4.50) and after fitting this everything was fine for another few hundred miles when the lights reappeared on approach to a junction. They are now appearing randomly on most journeys.

My brake fluid is showing max and was replaced in September, so it doesn't look like this is triggering it.

One thing I had noticed is that if you start the car with your foot resting on the brake pedal it doesn't move smoothly as the vacuum comes in, it feels like it catches. It's fine at all other times.

I have an OBD2 cable lying around somewhere, is there any software that I can use to connect to the car and see exactly what is triggering the lights?

Thanks for any help.

It's 100% bang on the max line, I've checked a good few times.

Oddly the Nissan data scan is reporting a front tight wheel speed of 130kph, but quite a few of the other sensors are reporting odd readings as well so I can't tell if this is a red herring or not.

Argh!

Changed the battery today because the car had been getting harder and harder to start. Drove 50 miles with no lights then on the last junction before home they all came back again.

So close!

• 3 weeks later...

The brake pedal sensor will cost you under £15, I would do that before you end up looking at ABS units

That switch was the cause of my problems - even though a garage charged me to swap the ABS unit!

My brake lights would still work despite the switch being broken - it was intermittent.

You can take the switches out (2 just above the pedal) and manually depress them to work out which one is broken. One switch deals with cruise control - so process of illimination to swap the brake one. They have different pin layouts...

• 4 weeks later...

Slight update - because changing the brake pedal switch seemed to work for a while I have replaced it again with a facet version rather than the non branded eurocarparts one.

There is a noticeable difference in the switches - if you press the facet switch you can feel the on/off switch action (like pressing a button) whereas the other one feels smooth all the way through the action.

Have done a few short journeys and haven't triggered the lights yet (on a road that always seemed to do it) but will update again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully the final update to this. I have done a couple of hundred miles since changing the switch (for the second time) and haven't seen the lights again.

I guess this is a lesson not to buy cheap rubbish from eurocarparts...

Edited by garak112